• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there an option to disable plugins/extensions?

Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple question -- I haven't been able to find one but would be very surprised if it's not possible to do.Thanks!

TOPICS
How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Hi there,

Unfortunately I don't know of any quick methods to do this at startup; certainly a worthy feature request!

My method is to find the plugins folder on my system and drag them all out to a folder on the desktop. Are you having issues with a plugin? If so I would pull them all out like this then add them back one at a time and launch Premiere until you see the issue reappear.

JVK

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 28, 2024 May 28, 2024

**UPDATE**

Since at least v23 there's been an option to disable all plugins (temporarily) when launching Premiere. Just hold down the option or alt key when you start the program and check the box to diable 3rd party plugins. You can also do other troubleshooting steps here like empty your media cache and reset your preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Unfortunately I don't know of any quick methods to do this at startup; certainly a worthy feature request!

My method is to find the plugins folder on my system and drag them all out to a folder on the desktop. Are you having issues with a plugin? If so I would pull them all out like this then add them back one at a time and launch Premiere until you see the issue reappear.

JVK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I'm relatively new to Premiere Pro but while it's incredibly powerful -- man does it feel horribly outdated. Pretty shocking there isn't a way to do this through the UI. For a product that's as mature especially..

Thanks for the info and the workaround you suggested!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a followup question -- do you happen to know AtomX? would you say that's a safe extension to download? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you want to disable plugins in premiere pro?

-Office : Adobe || Home : Resolve-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2024 May 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heya,

I know this reponse is two and a half years late, but wanted to answer this question. As great as plugins are, the problem is plugins and extensions can greatly slow down performance in Premiere Pro, especially when you have a lot of them. And when you're working on something that doesn't use any of your plugins, it would be handy to be able to temporarily turn them off to help Premiere run better during tasks that don't need plugins.

I'm experiencing this now, the video I'm working on right now is in the earlier stage of just skimming through footage and cutting out what I don't need and moving certain things around. I'm not using any of my extensions right now, but Premiere Pro still loads them at startup and keeps them open at all times, and Premiere gets very slow over time as it's doing this. I have to reboot the software every hour or so to lighten it up to run better for another hour. It's not a big issue when I actually do need to use my extensions for heavier tasks, but when skimming through footage quickly and efficiently, the slowdown is very annoying.

So Adobe really needs to do one of two things. Either allow an option to temporarily disable extensions, or they have to figure out how to minimize these slowdowns from happening. Ideally both.

And I'm on a fairly new system as well, I just built this machine a year ago and put a fresh install of Premiere Pro onto it, and I was having these slowdowns right away after I got my extensions installed. I also know a lot of people who use Premiere Pro as well with different extensions than what I use, and they have the same issues with Premiere Pro slowing down once extensions are involved, resulting in constantly having to restart it to ensure it stays usable. I don't need to have AEJuice Pack Manager and Premiere Composer, with all those huge amounts of premade effects and stock libraries, running at all times (thus slowing everything down) when all I'm going to do that day is skim footage.

So yes, the option would be appreciated.

Sure, one can argue that it might be the extensions fault, and perhaps replacing it would work better. But I am invested in these extensions both with my time and my money. I need to use these extensions for what I do, I just don't need them at all times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2024 May 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

**UPDATE**

Since at least v23 there's been an option to disable all plugins (temporarily) when launching Premiere. Just hold down the option or alt key when you start the program and check the box to diable 3rd party plugins. You can also do other troubleshooting steps here like empty your media cache and reset your preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2024 May 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is exactly what I needed! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines