• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mac software update during project. Possible?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

So I am currently working on a project in Premiere version 2022 and having some proxy rending issues with MXF (shot with Sony FX9 and FX6) next to sudden crashes during editing. I know that I need updates but best not to do that during a runnig project.

What I haven't done is a software update for my Mac (15 inch, 2019). I am still running in Catalina. The reason I haven't updated yet was due issues with Adobe Bridge at the time + not editing for a while and therefore not necessary.

Now my question is: how much can of would a softwareupdate effect Premiere? I still want to continue working in the same version op Premiere but in newer Mac software (hoping that I might help for less crashes).

Thanks for thinking along or sharing a topic which covers this.

TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Better finish ongoing projects before going for any updates,

now for sudden crashes, you can try to clean your media cache,

delete render files from sequence and reset the preferences.

consider also switching renderers in project settings and export settings.

if the crashes happen when exporting to H.264, go for GoPro Cineform or Apple ProRes.

You can also try Sequence Settings - Video Previews - Preview File Format, change it to Quick Time

and set the Codec to Apple ProRes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carlos,

Thank you for your reply. I see now that I  have made a typo in the reason of crashes. They happen during creating proxies (when there are too many (10+) at once, which has never happend before, however first time with FX6/9 files). No crashes during rendering. And yes, I'm sure that there are loads of cache and renders that can indeed be deleted. I will get into that.  

The other random crashes often happend when I am clicking around to much in the project and especially after color corrections. Happen to know why this occurs? Maybe heading into a different topic now 😉 Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a suggestion that may solve your problem without updating anything.    I was having serious issues with mxf media created on a few different sony cameras.  Select a clip in the project window, right click and choose. modify: interpret footage.  At the bottom of the dialog window, if the "use color space from file" is anything but rec 709, enable color space over ride and set to rec 709...    If I remember correctly, you can select multiple clips in the project and "reinterpret" multiple clips at the same time...

And although in principle, I do agree with Carlos' warning about updating an os (or premiere) in the middle of a project, if I followed that, I'd still be back in MacOS 1 as I've almost always got multiple projects ongoing...  you can create a bootable clone of your startup drive using something like CarbonCopyCloner on an external drive that will allow you to restore your computer to it's previous state... 

https://bombich.com/

Warning...  Apple has made this more difficult in newer OS's so you might want to do some googling or check the Bombich website..    You can also add a partition to your internal boot drive and have multiple OS's available on your system...  If you want more info on these workflow's, post back.  I've been working this way for at least 10 years...  Just finished a massive DVD authoring project that required Yosemite to run DVDSP... I've got 2 partitions on the internal SSD of my 2012 macbook pro so I can quickly switch between Catalina and Yosemite with a restart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"And although in principle, I do agree with Carlos' warning about updating an os (or premiere) in the middle of a project, if I followed that, I'd still be back in MacOS 1 as I've almost always got multiple projects ongoing... "

This is Ri$ky when you are on tight deadlines and clients are waiting,

better not update anything in such cases,

unless there are critical bugs and Adobe releases patches.

If you are considering having very long time projects that can wait, then you have plenty of time to try

and test whatever you want. In such cases you will have enough time to resolve issues related to updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many points of view on this issue... This is just mine....  Take it for what its worth.

but also remember that an incremental update (for example an updated version that stays with in premiere 2022) will still allow you to open saved projects in the previous version (for example a project saved in 2022.3 will open in 2022.2 or 2022.1).   A project saved in a version of 2023 will not open in 2022...  There are workarounds for this, but they're usually undependable...  

Sometimes you'll be experiencing buggy behavior that makes your workflow more cumbersome,  and with the caveats detailed in this thread, it sometimes make sense to do the update.  For example, I was having serious issues working on an M1 macbook pro with most renders and exports having issues...  I was not having crashes and was able to usually workaround the problem by sending the clip from the premiere timeline to AE and render it out and place the AE render on top of the problematic clip in the premiere timeline...  But to say the least, it made editing and output difficult.  After posting the issue here, I was initially told to try the beta version, which solved the problem and then within a week or 2, to update...  Definitely worth the risk as I was staying within the incremental updates...  And in this case, I was working at the clients on the clients computer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Michael,

Thanks again for you extra tips. The option to update the software become more realistic woth for earlier mention about working in the same versions. I'm saying this (with a little hope) bacause I'm very frustrated b/c my macbook has actually fully crashed a few times in the midst of editing without any reason.

As for specs I have 16 GBs RAM and that might also not be anough to edit the 4K MXF files. Even if they are in proxies. The pc has a hard time and crashed when it's about to fly up in thge sky of blowing so hard. Can this be a poor graphic card /combined with the 16GB RAM? See my Mac specs below 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update! I did a software update to Montery and everything is now way faster since then. 🙂 Thanks again guys for the extra tips and I'll be taking them along in the upcoming projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Michael,

"ust a suggestion that may solve your problem without updating anything.    I was having serious issues with mxf media created on a few different sony cameras.  Select a clip in the project window, right click and choose. modify: interpret footage.  At the bottom of the dialog window, if the "use color space from file" is anything but rec 709, enable color space over ride and set to rec 709...    If I remember correctly, you can select multiple clips in the project and "reinterpret" multiple clips at the same time..."
- funny you mention this because I have used it before to lose the weird color grade that the files had after proxies were created. In what way would if decrease crashing?

And from what I read from of you guys it's the best to do some rescheduling in my edits (finisch first). Then do a full refresh of the software on both mac and Premiere (but alsop keep the versions I work in now). The backup options you gave are a bit more advanced for me, since I don't do too many large project. But thank you anyway 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any strange and unexpected behavior could be also causing crashing...  When I was having the issue with mxf files, I did have the occasional crash and at one point had a crash that left a glyph drive corrupted.  Was able to fix the drive using DiskWarrior fwiw...  Wasn't sure if the colorspace issue was causing those crashes but didn't see any crashes after adjusting the colorspace...  your mileage may vary...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and the backup options I suggested are not particularly complex.  Having a bootable clone of your startup drive is a little bit like wearing a belt and suspenders...  but it's saved my professional life a few times...  But of course, if you're in a position to wait to do the update after finishing any ongoing projects, that's all good...  Just not possible for many people...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines