• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Match Frame on subclip not matching to master clip

Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reviewed a couple previous threads on this topic, which are a bit dated at this point, namely:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/subclip-sorrows-is-there-any-way-to-open-the...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/matchframe-on-a-subclip-in-source-monitor-wi...

In short, my issue is that I can't seem to match frame from a subclip to the master clip.  The discussions in the two-year-old threads above indicate that you CAN do this, but only if the "Restrict trims to subclip boundaries" box was checked when the subclip was created.  It is not working for me on any subclip, regardless of whether the "Restrict trims..." box has been checked.

I am currently using version 15.4.3 of Premiere.  I have been loathe to update to any newer versions, as I'm in the middle of a long-term project and worry about creating problems by doing so (though maybe there's nothing to worry about).  I wonder if there is something I'm doing wrong, and/or if this issue would be solved by upgrading Premiere, either to version 15.4.5 (long term supported), or the currently-latest version, 22.6.1.

Needless to say, not being able to match frame from a subclip to its master clip is a huge, time-wasting headache.

Please let me know if additional information from me would help sort this out.  Thanks in advance for any help!

Andrew

---

In case it's useful, here are my current workstation details:

Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Version 10.0.19043 Build 19043

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Spire Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Arsenal Gaming AMD Ryzen 2ND and 3rd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 DVI HDMI Crossfire ATX Motherboard (B450 Tomahawk Max)
GPU: MSI Gaming Radeon Rx 5700 Xt 256-bit 8GB GDDR6 HDMI/DP Dual Fans Crossfire Freesync Navi Architecture Graphics Card (RX 5700 Xt Gaming X)
SSD: WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, 2.5"/7mm, Up to 560 MB/s - WDS500G2B0A
power supply: EVGA 650 Bq, 80+ Bronze 650W, Semi Modular, 5 Year Warranty, Includes Free Power On Self Tester, Power Supply 110-BQ-0650-V1
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM008 2TB 7200 RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive Bare Drive
wifi card: ASUS PCE-AC55BT B1 AC1200 Wireless Bluetooth 4.2 PCIe/Mpcie Adapter
RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Intel Z170 / Z270 / Z370 / X299 Memory (Desktop Memory) Model F4-3600C17D-16GTZKW

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Ahhh... okay.

In the current version of Premiere Pro, it's just called "Source Clip" (Terminology changes in Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Audition).

Do the Match Frame (press f) to open the Subclip in the Source tab.  Then choose Clip > Edit Subclip... and Convert to Source to restore the original Media Start and Media End.  This should also allows using the Source without affecting the instance in the Timeline, but is still a seperate instance of the original Source.  That has to be loc

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Match Frame does not work as expected, use the Playhead Position text field at the lower left of the Source panel with Overlays enabked in the Program panel.  

By default, Source Timecode should show at frame left, but this can be changd in the Overlay Settings.

Enter the Source Timecode value displayed in the Program panel in the Playhead Position text fieldof the Source panel after opening the source clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Warren,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I'm afraid I may not be fully understanding your answer.  I have the overlays set up as you describe.  I have a subclip, or a portion thereof, in the timeline.  I am trying to get the original master clip, from which the subclip was taken, to open in the Source panel, without having to navigate to it in the Project panel (which I thought match frame should do).  I have tried entering the timecode in the Playhead Position text field of the Source panel, as you describe, but this does not open the master clip.  When you say "...after opening the source clip", do you mean to navigate to the master clip and open it?  I have the feeling I'm missing something.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh... okay.

In the current version of Premiere Pro, it's just called "Source Clip" (Terminology changes in Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Audition).

Do the Match Frame (press f) to open the Subclip in the Source tab.  Then choose Clip > Edit Subclip... and Convert to Source to restore the original Media Start and Media End.  This should also allows using the Source without affecting the instance in the Timeline, but is still a seperate instance of the original Source.  That has to be located manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it, thanks.  I was able to duplicate what you explain.

I guess what I really want doesn't exist.  Time to make a request!

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro treats the subclip like an entirely separate source reference.  If I ever want to get back to the non-subclip instance of the source, I copy and paste the clip name to the search field of the Project tab (everything to the left of ".Subclip000").  Or I do a Reveal in Finder to import another source of the same clip.

When doing a Reveal in Project, it would be nice to have another pop-up menu extend out from that that allows us to choose from all instances of the source in the Project/Bin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is very helpful, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines