• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Match sequence settings. MP4 to MPEG. Is this normal?

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I select match sequence settings on the output file and it goes from  MP4 to MPEG. Is this normal?

If I was matching the sequence settings, why not MP4 file to MP4 file? 

Also, the original file appears to be an .MKV file that imports as a MP4 file then outputs as an MPEG file(when match sequence settings) is selected. 

Can anyone shed any light on how these different file extensions work in the Adobe Premiere software? 

I am under the impression that changing the compression type will lose quality on the rendering and you should stick within the same type if you can. 

Thanks. 

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export , Import , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Seelcting Match Sequence Settings in Export Settings will change your Format to the Preview File Format that was set in Sequence Settings. Give focus to your Sequence tab in the Timeline panel, then go to Sequence menu > Sequence Settings. The third group box (Video Previews) will list your selected Preview File Format.

This is what will be used when you select Match Sequence Settings. You should also see the Format change in Export Settings. For many Sequences, the default Preview File Fomrat

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you figure this out? I can't figure out how to simply edit an MP4 without rendering. I just want the clip to be like 15 min shorter not a different format or anything 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my answer here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MKV is not a format, it's a container that can contain all sorts of codecs.

Re-encoding, by definition, means another encoding pass will happen to the file. If the chosen bitrate is high enough, you will not likely suffer any perceivable quality loss.

How did you manage to import the MKV? Support for that format ceased for CC2020. You have to use Handbrake to transcode the file first. So I assume you are using CC2019?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seelcting Match Sequence Settings in Export Settings will change your Format to the Preview File Format that was set in Sequence Settings. Give focus to your Sequence tab in the Timeline panel, then go to Sequence menu > Sequence Settings. The third group box (Video Previews) will list your selected Preview File Format.

This is what will be used when you select Match Sequence Settings. You should also see the Format change in Export Settings. For many Sequences, the default Preview File Fomrat will be I-Frame Only MPEG (MPEG2), which is likely why you are seeing MPEG export.

If you want to match your mp4, then don't select the Match Sequence Settings checkbox as we don't currently have an option for mp4 Previews. Instead, set Format to H.264 in Export Settings, then click the Match Source button under the Video tab. This will match the basic parameters of your file (eg: frame size, frame rate, etc.). Smart Rendering is not currently supported for H.264, so there will be recompression during export.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

During export,i try to select H.264,the program crushes. I am using Premiere Pro 2021. And its not graphics card issue because i dont have one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines