• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mouse wheels not working in effect controls - is this normal?

Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2022 Nov 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the 'timeline panel' I can use the mouse wheel to scroll through the timeline and alt to zoom. When I try to do the same in the 'effect controls panel', nothing happens. Is this normal? I'm asking because I think this would be nice in general (/should obviously be a feature), but also because using the handle to drag and zoom is driving me crazy with buggy behavior; not allowing me to zoom in or out, limiting scrolling to only part of the track.

Any answers would be much appreciated.

Sarloos.

TOPICS
Editing , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can (alt) scroll the slider in the ECP.

To give you a better zoom in/out uncheck pin to clip in the panel menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does not work for me unfortunetly.. May it could be due to my european keyboard layout? (have tried not can't add a keyboard command that includes the scroll wheel)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have no idea if the keyboard has anything to do with. I always had an international keyboard and English OS on a Dutch machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotcha. Hmm.. Then I don't know why. Thank you for the responces. Hopefully I can get that working at some point

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always use alt + scroll wheel in the timeline, and +/- in the ECP, as alt + scroll never worked there for me (unchecking pin to clip never changed anything).

For me alt + scroll is way faster and more natural than +/-, especially that scroll alone will scroll the timeline, so it's a matter of pressing unpressing the alt key and you will be able to navigate easily in the timeline using the scroll wheel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just like to reduce reliance on the mouse as much as possible. There are some editing scenarios where I don't even have to take my hands off the keyboard. Aside from speed it reduces wrist strain for me. After twenty years of editing/working on the computer I'm a bit more sensitive to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe ALT + Scrollwheel works in Effect Controls, no. Feature Requests have been moved to these forums, you can find more info here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/faq-how-do-i-file-a-bug-report-or-write-a-fe...

Personally, I'm in the habit of using the +/- keys to zoom in/out on the Timeline, and those also work in Effect Controls. And I definitely don't use the scroll bars. I've probably spent less than 60 seconds using a scroll bar in my 10+ years of using Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Phillip,

This was apparently not working because I have a european keyboard, and I guess some of the controls just don't work out of the box for that reason. Was able to add a shortcut for +/- keys, which makes my life so much easier!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did see that Ann's suggestion does work in that specific context: Pin to Clip unchecked, and if you are hovering over the scroll bar. So that is something I didn't know, but I'm still just in the habit of using +/- for everything. It's well-ingrained muscle memory, and I tend not to work with Pin to Clip unchecked outside of specific instances. That's just me, though. We all get used to doing things certain ways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Often unpin to clip en never use +/-, always alt+scroll in the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines