Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Muffling certain words in premiere pro

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm editing a video as part of a research project and need to muffle parts where names are spoken in the clip to maintain confidentiality. I'm struggling to find any support for this. 

I take it I would need to use the razor tool to be able to edit the particular second where that name is spoken, however I can't work out which effect would muffle the word without distorting the audio in a way that's too distractiong (i.e super high or low pitches).

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. 

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Just to clarify further, I am imagining that the process is similar to bleeping out swear words, but I don't want the bleeping noise. 

Thanks,

Shaddai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reverse the section of the audio clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you have an example? the thing with muffled is that, if you leave it sounding "nice", someone may be able to forensically recover the audio. it might be better to make your own muffled sound and simply merge into the audio completely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Thanks both, I've since figured this out myself.

I've simply cut a few seconds of background noise from elsewhere within the same clip, cut out the audio clip with the name spoken, and replaced it with the background. 

Best,  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see you figured out a way, but thought I would offer you another idea in case you felt it would work better.

You can use audition, to highlight the part of the audio you want to muffle, and use the auto heal, it seems to work decently.

Another workflow that might help augment what you are already doing is to use the transcribe feature (it now runs local), and you will be able to find the words you want to delete much easier (potentially).  At this point you can use the same cut/paste you described but at least finding the words you want to replace would be faster (maybe).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Forgot to add, if these are confidential/sensitive names, you may want to blur out the lips, as some people can lip read good.  You only have to blur it to match the spoken part you removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines