Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New 23.4 update problem

Explorer ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Can someone please tell me where is gone the merge/split segment function in the transcription feature?
I can see the icons in the screenshot of the article that announces this new version, but not in my premiere pro.

And where is hidden the choice of the translated language? I can't find it too...

Thank you very much

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

I just found my answer on Reddit.
I just needed to generate a "static transcript".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

gerard,

Thank you for being persistent and giving the time code in the tutorial video. (It is not my tutorial.)

Yes, for now, you and some others will want to keep using the previous transcript workflow. To do that, just do not create source media transcripts. Use the "static transcript" option in the sequence view. Uncheck "Follow active monitor" and stay in Sequence view. The transcript, transcript tab options, and caption creation will be as before. You can work in the regular Captions an

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Gerard BSC,

Thank you for the message. The Split Caption function is located in the "kabob" (three dots) menu. See if you find it there. There is no translation function within Premiere Pro. Sorry about that. Please upvote this feature request here. I hope the advice helps. Please return with any questions.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and thank you for your answer, I'm not talking about captions but about transcript.

I just found the Split/Merge function going into "Show source monitor transcript". But I can't transcribe in that window... it tell me "No dialogue found". I don't understand at all why everything changed in this feature.

Sorry, I misspoke. In v23.2 Premiere used to ask me each time in which language I want to transcribe. I can't find where to change the default option, which is currently in English. (I am French and I want to transcribe in French, but I use Premiere Pro in English because I learned to use it in that language)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gerard,

The new Text-based editing changes will take getting used to. There are things you cannot do, and others that are not intuitive. But many of those challenges are because it is a powerful technique with lots of options.

A bit more info about the split/merge icons.... Even in the past, sometimes you would not see the split/merge icons. That was because the 3 dots is an "overflow" menu. If the Text Panel is too narrow, the icons that do not show are added to the overflow menu. This includes the split/merge icons. Too see all the icons quickly, just select the Text Panel and press the tilde key. Press it again to go back. Or just enlarge the Text Panel by dragging the edge to the right, until the icons show.

Setting the transcription language for Source Media can be confusing. Sometimes the dialogue box will appear, and other times not - I have not yet sorted out when - but just set the language to French at the beginning of your project. Edit -> Preferences -> Transcription, and set "Default Transcription Language.

You have the "Follow Active Monitor" turned off. I think it is a bit easier if you have it turned on. For example, if you open a clip in the Source Monitor, and then you switch to the Text Panel -> Transcript Tab, you will see the transcription of that source clip, or some message about transcribing. If you have no clip open in the Source Monitor, and you select the source monitor view with active monitor off, you will see "no dialogue."

If helps to do one of the tutorials. I have not reviewed all of them. Some that were produced earlier may not include changes in the Text-editing features made just before release. This one published May 11, 2023 by Adobe Care is short and is a good overview:

How to use text-based editing in Premiere Pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1ewo-8z9HY

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As said in my previous message, I was not seeing the split/merge option not because of the overflow menu (I have a big screen), but because of the new UI that you show in your video at 1:02 in your video. The transcript window is now clearly oriented to text-based editing, when it was before clearly more oriented to do captions, that what is very confusing with this new update.
What I can't understand is why I can only split/merge in the "Show Source Monitor Transcript" and not in the "Show Program Monitor Transcript". I just want to have a big trancript of the sequence in 1 big segment, in order to correct the text keeping the words I replace synchronised with the audio, that's my need and I think I'm far from alone in this case. It is a lot easier to edit text in the transcript tab than in the captions tab.

Is there a different way to do captions than the text panel? Because it's a very very different workflow to do text-based editing vs. to do captions.

Or maybe you have a video about creating captions with this new feature? Because I really don't care at all about text-based editing.

Thank you very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gerard,

Thank you for being persistent and giving the time code in the tutorial video. (It is not my tutorial.)

Yes, for now, you and some others will want to keep using the previous transcript workflow. To do that, just do not create source media transcripts. Use the "static transcript" option in the sequence view. Uncheck "Follow active monitor" and stay in Sequence view. The transcript, transcript tab options, and caption creation will be as before. You can work in the regular Captions and Graphics workspace or the new Text-based.

I had not noticed this new behavior of the split/merge icons until you pointed it out. At 52 seconds of the video, a section of the clip is inserted on the timeline, and it switches to the sequence view and the icons disappear. In the new workflow, when you are working with a "source media" transcript, you will always see the merge/split icons in the Transcript tab. When you are working with a "static" transcript of a SEQUENCE, you will always see the merge/split icons in the Transcript tab. If you only have source media transcript and you are in the SEQUENCE, you will NOT see the merge/split icons in the Transcript tab. To do split/merge when you have only source media transcript, return to the Source Monitor (if that clip is already open) or double click on the clip to open the source monitor, then go to the Transcript tab.

You can also uncheck the "Follow active monitor" and click on the source view, but once you get used to this, I like having it checked.

In any event, when you go back to working only with a static transcript, you will not see the split/merge icons disappear.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, for now, you and some others will want to keep using the previous transcript workflow.

By @Stan Jones

The way you've said "for now" makes it sound as though we will eventually NOT be able to generate what are now being called "static transcripts". The ability to split/merge sections of the auto-generated-transcripts is an absolutely critical feature for those of us who are working with pre-written scripts, and ONLY use auto-transcribe for getting all the timestamps synced up to the text, before immediately going in and copy-pasting in our actual scripts (which are already all grammatically correct, spell-checked, etc).

Auto-transcribe saves so much time when working through this process, but it would become completely useless if we ever lost the split/merge functionality.

Will split/merge eventually be removed from Premiere's transcript tool, or have I misinterpreted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use this feature for the same reason. I've interpreted it the same way as you have, but let's hope that if it disappears, it could eventually be replaced by manual addition of text and automatic synchronization (as is the case on Descript for example).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@joe.unsworth @gerardbsc,

No, by "for now," I mean that in the future you will probably want to use the new source media options in some workflows. I see no way they would remove the static transcripts - they are essential for the new and old workflows.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found my answer on Reddit.
I just needed to generate a "static transcript".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol. I was typing as you posted!

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines