Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ninja V Footage looks overexposed after rendering

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

i just finished my colorcorrection process on an actual clip i'm working on and i was super happy how it worked out, but after rendering the footage... it looks horrible.

I Shot this footage on a Sony a 7 III in HLG 2 connected with an Atomos Ninja V set to Prores LT, Monitor HLG.

When i watch the "rough" material in the vlc or mediaplayer, everything looks ok.

Here are two pictures to show you guys what i mean.

The first shows the colorcorrected footage before rendering, the second after rendering.

Can anybody help me?

HLG_Footage_V1.jpgHLG_Footage_V2.jpg

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Try to:

Right Click with on the file

MODIFY----Interpret Footage----- Color Management---- Color Space Override ( in my case I changed to REC.709 ) and exposure returned to the normal levels recorded by the Ninja V

Hope It Helps!

Best!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you seen this video from Gerald Undone? Sounds like it might help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSZ4WGsKLAY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Taverino, i will check it out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did this solve your problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

==========

When i watch the "rough" material in the vlc or mediaplayer, everything looks ok.

==========

I don't know what that means.

There is 'source material' ( clips before they are put into the editing timeline or editing program )

There is edited footage ( in the timeline, including color correction )

There is exported footage ( the finished product for delivery ).

Does your source material look the same as your export ( the blown out stuff you put up ).

In other words, does the source look blown out, and after you correct and export, it looks as if you didn't accomplish the corrections ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Salvo,

thanks for the reply.

with "rough" material i mean the source material.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK... can you post a screenshot of the source material ( same frame as your shot already posted , or close to that frame ) when it is in VLC ( make it big on screen and post that shot ).

That way we can see what you did ( more or less ) when you color corrected.

Then we can move on to other things... like what your EXPORT settings are and stuff like that. When you render that is a process within PPro that renders the timeline to cache various files and make it play in timeline more easily... rendering is not exporting.

hehe... this is going to take a while.

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same issue... Is there a solution to this?
Wenn viewing the footage in VLC or resolve it looks fine.
Just lowering exposure doesn't fix it. The colors look off compared to the Resolve preview... I want to edit with premiere - pleasse help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on a Mac, perchance?

Color management is a rather complex rabbit hole. But we can probably sort it for you.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if you ever found the fix, but I just spent probably around 10 hours trying to figure out why I was getting the same issue. 

What I found is when I switched my Atomos Ninja V monitor mode from "Native" to "HLG" it changed the color space to REC.2100HLG. Not sure why, but it's whatever now that I know how to resolve it.

When importing the files to PP, and dragging a file onto the timeline to set the sequence, it sets up the timeline as such. 

IE 4k 4.2.2 video in the REC.2100HLG color space will be what the sequence is. When exported, if you don't export specifically for HDR video (I believe. Never got it to look good, but that may just be my equipment) it'll look washed out/blown out. Even if the waveforms look good. The wave forms are looking for that specific parameter.

My fix ended up being changing my sequence settings back to Rec.709 and setting my lumetri scopes to reflect that. (I use BT.2020 with my A7III but that's not so pertinent.) 

Once I changed that, I had to bring the exposure down about 2.5 stops in the basic correction menu for it to look fine.

Now everything is lining up. 

I have no clue why changing the monitor setting to HLG changes the color space. I thought it was more like a LUT used to show what it'll look like once adjusted. I'm obviously wrong, but I'm fairly new to color setup, the Ninja V, etc. 

Even if you figured it out, I hope this helps other noobs such as myself in the future haha.

TLDR

Ninja V monitor setting (Native vs HLG) changes recorded color space.

Premiere sees, and ingests correct settings for video I shot

I expect correct outcome from incorrect settings for what I want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to:

Right Click with on the file

MODIFY----Interpret Footage----- Color Management---- Color Space Override ( in my case I changed to REC.709 ) and exposure returned to the normal levels recorded by the Ninja V

Hope It Helps!

Best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines