• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No audio speed controls!? That's it, I'm quitting Adobe for good.

Explorer ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does a "professional" video editing software not have speed controls for audio!?

So many bugs, so many janky half-arsed features, so much headache and so little optimisation on my very expensive computer. I'm done. I'm absolutely without a doubt dumping Adobe for good after I export this next project.

BYE!

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, no warp stabilisation on clips with retiming? No warp stabilsation on proxies? No custom keyboard shortcuts when you're using two monitors? — Adobe?

Mod note: Please do not use profanity on Adobe forums. It is against community guidelines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Premiere Pro proxy workflow, the proxy should be attached to the full resolution clip that are in the Project.  We would never import a proxy.

Keyboard. Shortcuts, custom or otherwise, should work regardless of the number of displays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rubbish. You've known about the keyboard shortcut issue for two years. https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-beta-discussions/keyboard-shortcuts-are-disabled-on-seco...

And no, I'm not going to dock and redock my panels every time I open the program, what a ridiculous workaround.

Speaking of ridiculous workarounds, when you warp stabilise a clip with a proxy connected, you cannot view the effect on the proxy clip unless you either nest it or offline the full res version. And I know it's pure laziness on behalf of the Adobe development team, because when I offline the full-res version I can see the proxy clip stabilised without any additional analysis or stabilisation. It just works. Why not just do that to begin with!? Why make me break my project to view the stabalisation on my proxies!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that keyboard shortcuts are not working for you with a second display.  That sounds frustrating.  

That's something to do with hiw your OS, Premriere Pro, and hardware are working together.  It's 100% possible to use keyboard shortcuts (custom or default) with multiple displays connected.

Which OS are you rinning? 

Which display driver?

Which version of Premiere Pro?

How are your displays connected to your computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, no warp stabilisation on clips with retiming?

By @warwickj52349404

Nest the clip, apply the retiming on the new sequence, then apply Warp on the nest in the main sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peru Bob wrote:

Also, no warp stabilisation on clips with retiming?

By @warwickj52349404

Nest the clip, apply the retiming on the new sequence, then apply Warp on the nest in the main sequence.

Why? Why do I have to nest the clip, drag it into the corresponding bin, relabel it, lose the ability to scale and position it, for all the world drag and retime it without going into the nested sequence. Why? Every other NLE develor has worked it out. If Adobe want to be taken seriously they should fix this kind of rubbish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Hey, good question. The "why" has to do with changing the order of effects in an operational sense. Referred to as the rendering order pipeline, it's "the math" behind the order of operations that creates these wonderful effects.

This "changing of the render order" (especially for speed effects) is something as a video editor you may have to contend with in some situations. In my case, if an effect didn't look quite right, I changed the stacking order of the effects. If that didn't work I gave nesting a go to change the order of the effects. I usually got things working again.

I also worked on another NLE at a different company, and it had the same issue. As I recall, Speed Effects need to be applied ahead of specific effects to work correctly. AE also reacts this way to certain effects and the order they should be in to achieve a certain effect.

Not sure what other NLEs do to work around the issue. Perhaps they are nesting in the background or something. Sounds like a significant piece of dev to me (note, I'm not a dev. I'm in support). Support employees are here, but devs hang out on User Voice. This space is a user-to-user forum, so no one is "hiding."

An article about this if you have more interest: https://blog.neatvideo.com/post/pr-order

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin, I know all about signal chains. I've been working with digital audio and/or video for the past fifteen years.

I'm not a developer either, so I can't pretend to know the first thing about how one would go about making it work. But my goodness do I miss being able to speedramp a clip, with audio still in sync, and then stabalise it without nesting, all within the one program, all with just a few buttons.

But more importantly perhaps, the general instability of PP makes it almost unusable at times. I often spend five seconds at a time waiting for my very expensive M1 Studio to catch up to me in PP, or else I get extremely choppy playback. I sometimes never get smooth playback with clips that have been reversed until I export. I've NEVER had that issue in FCP, even back when I was using my scrawny little i5 MacBook Pro. That tells me there's a fundamental flaw with the way PP is using (or more likely not using) my multitude of expensive, video-optimised CPU and GPU cores.

(PS, I appreciate now that Adobe Employees are properly identified in these forums. My bad, and thank you for being visible and engaging with me on this.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An important note about Final Cut Pro X and why it offers such strong performance on just about any Mac since Apple first published it is the following:

• Optimized Media is ProRes.
  • Proxy Media is ProRes.
  • Project Rendering is ProRes.

If during the import we bypass the Optimized Media or Proxy Media options, anything that is done to modify the clip (Compositing, Transform, Crop, Distort, Stabilization, Rolling Shutter, Spatial Conform, Trackers) triggers the Rendering Background Task.  Playback may be laggy while the rendering is active, but should return to being smooth as soon as it's complete.

On the Premiere Pro side, we can leverage the exact same performance benefit by using ProRes.  The main difference between the two non-linear editors is that Final Cut Pro X just does it while Premiere Pro leaves our editing options open.  If I could change one thing about Premiere Pro, it would have a "Pro Mode" button that, in one click, sets the full workflow to ProRes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always try to shoot in ProRes. When editing other codecs I always make ProRes proxies. But since purchasing an M1 Max I don't actually need to use proxies in FCP. Even DJI's lumbering h.265 codec plays back near perfect in a Final Cut timeline on this machine. And I've long since turned background rendering off because I don't like it filling up my harddrive with render files that will likely continue to be superceded.

Back in Premiere Pro, I have low-res ProRes proxies that constantly jam up my computer when doing the most basic task, like reversing its speed or trying to do a simple transform. I'm hardly ever able to maintain a flow state while working in Premiere Pro and it's utterly infuriating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

H265 is not an editing CODEC.  If you reverse it or stabilize it in FCP, it renders to whatever the current Project Rendering setting is (all but one of tbem are ProRes).

Premiere Pro Smart Rendering is buttery smooth on my M1 Mac mini.  If somehow things are worse on Mac Studio, something else is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, I have disabled background rendering on FCP. That means if I import an h.265 clip straight from my drone without optimising or creating proxies, Final Cut is playing back the h.265 file—NOT a ProRes render file. And in my experience FCP plays back that heavy, 4K clip—with colour correction and stabalisation—nearly perfectly on my M1 Max. And it does it instantly, without the need to render it into ProRes.

On the other hand, Premiere Pro drops nearly every frame after a couple of seconds of playback. And that's before I've done anything to the clip. And even if I do create low-res ProRes proxies, reversing the clip results in choppy playback. What's more, if I move around my timeline quickly, Premiere Pro takes sometimes 5 or 6 seconds to catch up, giving me extremely choppy playback until I wait for it to load the corresponding section into my RAM. And with 32GB of RAM and 24 GPU cores, I have to ask myseld HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using J, K and L?  Tap L a second time and you'll double the playback speed.  Tap it again and you'll double it again.  Shift L will step through slower than realtime increments.  We can also hold combinations like K and L at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you telling me how to skim my timeline? I want to change the speed of audio in my video, not change the speed of playback in my program monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the clarification.

Select the audio clip in the Sequence and then choose Clip > Speed/Duration.  Premiere Pro can also maintian pitch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do realise the audio doesn't change with the clip when you do that, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@warwickj52349404 

You want to look up what a "Linked Selection" is.

I have to tell you, it's taken all my composure to not write, "You do realize that you're telling me that you don't know what a Linked Selection is without telling me that you do not know what a Linked Selection is, right?"

A little courtesy in the Adobe Community Forums (or Blackmagic-Design Forums) goes a long way, warwickj.

It may also be worth noting that doing a Linked or Non-Linked in Premiere Pro simply requires pressing a modifier key.  Final Cut Pro X requires more steps for a Non-Linked Selection.  Final Cut Pro X also makes it nearly impossible to round-trip audio for sweetening applications like Adobe Audition or Avid Pro Tools while in Premiere Pro that's just a right-click away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh Warren, Warren, Warren...

I'm not really in the mood to demonstrate that having the audio clip "linked" to the video makes no difference. You can go try it yourself, or you can literally just Google "Premiere Pro audio speedramp" and you'll find dozens of videos demonstrating this issue, along with various inelegant workarounds. I've attached one for you.

Or you can scroll down in this thread and see where Adobe employee Kevin-Monahan has suggested using Audition to speedramp audio--because again, this is not a feature avaialble in Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Time Remapping is Picture only.  Speed/Duration is Picture and/or Sound. 

Have you voted for Audio Time Remapping on the Adobe User Voice pages?  It's the only way for the Adobe Team to know what's most important to the most users.

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/35020588-audio-remapping

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/35571175-time-remap-both-au...

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/43373322-audio-follows-time...

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/34062952-time-remapping-to-...

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/38914384-audio-speed-time-r...

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/44297751-add-checkbox-for-t...

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/42246562-audio-remapping

Since you have Final Cut Pro X, it seems you have a fast solution for Time Remapping Picture and Sound that most Premiere Pro users who are not using Audition or After Effects do not (yes, in After Effect, Time Remapping affects both Picture and Sound and we can copy and paste back and forth or use Replace with AE Comp).  I round-trip ProRes clips to FCPX for Lock N' Load X (in my opinion, the best stabilizer available) and that's pretty fast on an M1 Mac mini.  On your Mac Studio, I can only imagine a round-trip to FCPX being even faster.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, in FCP I can simply double click the video track to drag extend or clip audio tracks attached to video tracks. I would argue the difference between that and holding down⌥ key is negligible.

What isn't negligible is the fact that FCP speedramps audio to match speedramps in the linked video clip. Which again, to be perfectly clear, Premiere Pro does not do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And to do a non-linked selection in FCP?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right-click > Detach Audio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And then click. So, three steps instead of just a click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd rather have to click my mouse once than open an entire new program to just have my audio match a speedramp. How is this even a conversation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines