Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

No Hardware Encoding on M1 Pro

Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, I am putting my new 14" Macbook Pro (base configuration 8-core M1 Pro) through its paces and noticed that I only have access to Software Encoding in Premiere and Media Encoder when using H.264 (Match source, high bitrate -- and I did try changing it to CBR rather than VBR per some other forum suggestions; that made no difference)

1. Is this an issue with the Apple Silicon chips that is yet to be updated? The GPU is a major draw for this computer to me and I'd love to be able to use it to encode more quickly.

2. Are there other codecs I should try? I tend to use H.264 for maximum cross-compatibility and have not dabbled with ProRes or any of the other multitude of options.

I am getting the "Your system's hardware does not support hardware acceleration for the current settings" message.

Thank you!

TOPICS
Export, Formats, Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone who comes across this later -- it seems this issue was in my Memory settings. "Optimize rendering for:" was set to Performance, rather than Memory -- once I set it to Memory, Hardware Encoding became available.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, that's really odd. I'm experiencing the same issue, but the switch to "memory" didn't fix it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Yeah, you know, going further with this I’ve found more exceptions. I’m not
sure exactly what is the cause anymore, but hardware encoding is working
for me now on ordinary MP4s.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines