Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No '+' to add captions in Premiere Pro

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I am try to add captions through the captions panal in preimere pro. It worked in a video I made about 2 months ago but now I cant create new captions in both new projects and old ones.

I am placing a screen shot below.

Screenshot 2021-08-29 184145.pngScreenshot 2021-08-29 184219.pngScreenshot 2021-08-29 184442.png

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

The plus symbol does not show if your Text panel is not wide enough. Drag to the right, and you'll see it.

As you noticed, when you click the 3 dots, you see the additional items, including the "Add new caption segment." BUT, as you also noticed (and I did not know), it does NOT work. I tried:

• targeting the caption track by clicking on the C1 in the track header,
  • clicking various places to make sure something else in the timeline did not have the focus, and
  • expanding the Text panel so I could

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The plus symbol does not show if your Text panel is not wide enough. Drag to the right, and you'll see it.

As you noticed, when you click the 3 dots, you see the additional items, including the "Add new caption segment." BUT, as you also noticed (and I did not know), it does NOT work. I tried:

• targeting the caption track by clicking on the C1 in the track header,
  • clicking various places to make sure something else in the timeline did not have the focus, and
  • expanding the Text panel so I could access the + symbol to make one caption, then moving the CTI (leaving in the old location would prevent a new caption segment), then narrowing the Text Panel and using the 3 dots.

Note that you can use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl-Alt-C - "Add new caption segment at playhead".

Your old project did not work for two reasons: 1) you did not have access to the plus button, probably did not know about the keyboard shortcut, and 3 dots options does NOT work and 2) the CTI is in front of a caption segment, so does not allow for adding a new caption segment.

I also tested this in a recent Beta version, and it does not work there. If you file a bug report, add a link here. If I file one, I will.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your response.

Widening the panal got the + to appear.

Here is a link to another thread I found on this topic after posting my own.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/add-captions-button-disappeared/m-p/12217187#M359693

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Add new captions segment" should now be working with Premiere Pro 22.0 Beta build 132+ (should be posted to Creative Cloud in a day or so)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FYI, the oddity identified here (when the Text Panel is so narrow that there is no Plus button to add a caption, the 3 dot drop down "Add new captions segment" did not work) is fixed in Release version 21.1.1.

All 3 options now work: the Plus button, the drop down, and Ctrl+Alt+C.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines