Premiere 2022 - M1 Pro MacBook Pro - Hardware Encoding Poor Quality & Reduced File Size

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently took delivery of a MacBook Pro M1 Pro, and went along with installing the usual suite of Adobe applications I use daily... I started editing a video project I had been working on and noticed that when I came to export the sequence how I normally would for Youtube (choosing Youtube 1080p preset with hardware encoding) and adding to the media encoder queue the exported file was really low quality - blurry and pixelated compared to the original media. I also noticed that the file size was over half of what Premiere Pro had estimated it to be. If I export with software encoding instead the file is 'normal' quality and matches the estimated file size from the export window in Premiere Pro.

I spent the afternoon playing around trying to figure out what is going on but this seems like a fault/error. I exported the exact same project using my Windows desktop computer using the exact same method with hardware encoding and another version with software encoding and both versions exported on Windows matched the file size and were of 'normal' quality. This seems like a M1 Pro issue?

I've attached a couple of screenshots of example exports - I'm pulling my hair out with this and hope someone is able to shed some light on it. Is it normal for hardware encoding on an M1/M1 Pro/M1 Max chip to have this effect, I was wondering if it could be more efficient at compressing or something?! 

Also Premiere Pro on M1 Pro MacBook completely crashes and grinds to a halt if I add any After Effects composition to the sequence. Maybe my MacBook has faulty hardware but everything else I use (non-Adobe) is fine with no issues.

TOPICS
Error or problem, Export, Freeze or hang, Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I noticed the same exact issue.

i had an old Mac pro and this new M1 MAX Macbook Pro. same timeline. same youtube 1080p preset both 16 bitrate and the one form M1 Max (hardware encoding)  files came out super blocky and blurry.

So i noticed the Mac Pro was only software encoding (AMD D700s)

and just finish trying the M1 Max MBP wtih software encding and it cmae out jsut fine. and the file size is idenitical to the Mac Pro version.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines