• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere media cache location has a mind of its own

Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

longtime user of Premiere.  for many months now Premiere is using the default media cache folder that it creates in the  C:\Users\josh\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\Media Cache Files  location.  however, my settings in Premiere put it on a different drive, but it seems to put all of the IMS files in the location above, then the MCDB files in the location i specify.  anyone know why they aren't all going to the same folder?  i'd rather they all take up space on my data drives, not my system drive.  thanks!

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

[Moved from generic Cloud/Setup forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Hi JoshBCreative,

I know this is quite confusing, but this is something by design (not a bug).

'IMS' files are system specific & they are not supposed to travel with the preference or to the custom location. Only the '.cfa' & '.pek' files will get generated into the new custom location.

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JoshBCreative,

I know this is quite confusing, but this is something by design (not a bug).

'IMS' files are system specific & they are not supposed to travel with the preference or to the custom location. Only the '.cfa' & '.pek' files will get generated into the new custom location.

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so there's no way to change that?  most people don't keep track of folders like that and it just gets bigger and bigger over time.  i don't remember how big mine was before i just cleared it, but i think at least 50gb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2018 Aug 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have EVERYTHING pointed at my SSD, but it is putting 55 GB on my C drive and only 2 GB on the SSD.  The CFA files total 52 GB!  This is by design?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 26, 2018 Aug 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't you actually read Kulpreet's post?

He's quite clear about the difference between IfS  files and the cfa/pek files.

Manually delete the current cache files. Reboot.

Trash your preferences on starting.

That might help.

And make sure the permissions on the intended cache drive are clear AND that you put your cache files a folder or two down from the root.

Hopefully that will get this sorted.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can delete ONLY if you know where Premiere Pro has put it.

The location is Opaque and as a result my PC is slow, despite uninstalling PP and rebooting multiple times.

Not installing PP ever again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Go to your Project settings dialog, it shows where all the cache files are stored.

And Premiere is no more "opaque" about where it stores things than Resolve ... or OBS, for that matter. They can all be a bit frustrating at times.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I put cfa and pek files in that specific location waveforms on audio files will not show up unless I zoom into them. I have to have the cfa and pek next to the original files for it to generate a waveform. I never had this problem come up until a couple of days ago. Noting changed on my system, as a matter of fact it did it wile I was in a project editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

R Neil Haugen I did read Kulpreet's post.  I did all that.  Several times.  I uninstalled and reinstalled several times, cleaned the registry, erased every vestage of Adobe everywhere just to make sure.

My cache is pointed at E:\Adobe\Data\Common, which has 5 GB in it.  After after purging cache it has 169 MB in it.

NOTHING is pointed at C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common, which has 52.5 GB in it.  After purging cache it still has 52.5 GB.  Mostly CFA files.

I posted these details in another post, which got an "already answered that don't post twice" reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok.

Have you trashed preferences? Then reboot, re-launch?

If so, and you're still getting this, download the Adobe CC Cleaner Tool. The instructions say to uninstall the app first with the CC desktop app, then run the Cleaner. DON'T.

Start with the Cleaner ... it can do both the uninstall & cleanup, and if you start with the CC app uninstall, you may need to go through uninstall/clean/re-install/uninstall-clean/re-install a couple times. Doing both with the CC Cleaner tool does the full removal of stray files in one go at it.

After removal of PrPro and all it's stray files with the CC Cleaner Tool, re-boot. From the CC app download/install a fresh copy of PrPro.

On launch, create a new project. Set the options in the Project file where you want them. Then after the project starts go into Preferences and set the cache files where you want. Then import some media, and test.

Hopefully this straightens out your issues. Yea, you don't wan't all the cache files on the OS drive. Still, you need to track where PrPro puts stuff ... and there's some files you will want to manually clean every so often.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem . Does it with cc2018 and 2019. I just got done resetting everything because now it needs to write the cya and pen files next to the original files or the waveforms won't appear with audio files. I never had to do this before now it feels everything is running slower.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh ... that's a pain.

Wonder what's the problem ... Kevin-Monahan​ ... can you or someone hop in on this?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is easily fixable.

Have a look at how I set mine up on a seperate SSD and it NEVER moves:

Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 10.13.29.pngScreen Shot 2019-09-26 at 10.13.38.png

As you can see the scratch SSD houses all my applications scratch folders. 

The only time I have ever had Premiere's cache or cache database move back to default location was on a big update or when I reinstalled. Besides that it has remained fixed.

After each run I ensure I clean the cache build. up from within PP.

Once a project is completed I use the Project Manager to tidy up everything into one main folder, archive it and then go in and manually delete remnant files off teh Scratch disk

Mo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines