Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere not following extension symlinks to network drives

Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2016 Jan 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey Adobe folk,

I'm developing an extension for Premiere that I like to locate on a shared network folder. If I place a symlink in the extensions folder that points to a path on my local disk, everything works great. So, for example, from this directory:

/Users/[user]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CEP/extensions

I create this symlink:

my-extension -> /some/LOCAL/path/library/premiere/my-extension

... everything works great. But if I change that symlink to point to a network location:

my-extension -> /some/NETWORK/path/library/premiere/my-extension

Then the extension is not available in Premiere. Is there any reason you guys can think of that Premiere would prefer symlinks to local locations over symlinks to network locations?

Cheers,

Raphael

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 21, 2016 Jan 21, 2016

I can think of loads of security-related reasons to not following re-directs.

Extensions are to be installed by Add-Ons, or ExManCmd; both place files in the correct location.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 21, 2016 Jan 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can think of loads of security-related reasons to not following re-directs.

Extensions are to be installed by Add-Ons, or ExManCmd; both place files in the correct location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks bbb_999. Yes, I worked with my client's IT guy & he believes are no network security issues on their end preventing the redirect -- & other code is being located and triggered across the symlink. I was hoping there was some setting local to Premiere like "Allow redirects to mounted disks" that I could turn on. I recall a setting somewhere in either PS or AE that had to be enabled to allow that dcc to write to disk.

I'll explore ExManCmd, thanks!

The use-case here, you can imagine, is the ability to push updates to an extension without users needing to install anything -- this is useful for active development where I'd like to reduce install-fatigue. My workaround in this case is to wrap Premiere in a launcher (it's wrapped for other reasons anyway), and on launch delete my extensions from /Users/[user]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CEP/extensions and copy in fresh versions, if the date is newer. If you have suggestions for a better way to do this (like maybe adding my network extensions path to an optimistic by likely imaginary AdobeExtensions path env variable).

Thanks for all your help across these issues, bbb_999! I see more Premiere integration projects que'd up for me in the months to come & your guidance and suggestions have been incredibly valuable.

Cheers,

Raphael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[my client's IT guy] believes are no network security issues on their end preventing the redirect -- & other code is being located and triggered across the symlink.

You don't find many such trusting and optimistic people, in IT!

Updating extensions without user needing to install: Your panel can download stuff from anywhere it likes, and use that instead of what's installed...

I'm curious why you'd wrap PPro in a launcher, at all...? Manually deleting and replacing panels may work if all your users have set PPro to load debug panels, but any change to what's in your extension's directory will break the signature, and PPro won't load them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's what I'm doing now -- automatically turning on load debug panels for everyone. But I'd love to get our extensions properly signed. Is there a way to trigger "panel" updates without opening the Creative Cloud panel? Like have Premiere auto-update all it's extensions on load if launched from anywhere? Our users don't normally interact with the Creative Cloud panel, but I'll try signing our extensions & vet that manual-install workflow -- might be okay for users if they're doing it through the pretty cc panel

Contact me off-line and I'll explain more about our launcher & what it does. Without getting too deeply into it, the wrapper allows us to determine what context Premiere was launched from and set env variables accordingly, which are then used by our extensions.

Cheers,

Raphael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updates: Add-Ons are only updated by the Creative Cloud app. All Creative Cloud apps (including PPro) rely on the CC app to manage/update extensions. They don't have to interact with the CC app (other than letting it run at startup) to make updates happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Cool, thanks bbb_999. It occurs to me that an api for the cc app might be nice, in that case

Cheers,

Raphael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines