I updated to PP v15.0 specifically so I could try the captions workflow.
Now I'm done with the captions (for a video 01:38:54 long) but it won't export an SRT file although it will export a TXT file (which have no timecodes). I go through all the usual dialog boxes but the file just isn't there when I'm done.
How specifically are you trying to export? It is working for me. I used the Captions tab in the Export media. You can also export srt from the Text Panel (Captions). Click on the 3 dots -> Export SRT file.
The text file with no timecodes sou8nds like you are exporting a transcript.
Yes, that should work. I'm Windows 10. I wonder if that is an issue. I would file a bug report.
Yes, the File -> Export -> Captions option is gone.
Yes, it should work. I click Save, the dialog box closes (often with the spinning color wheel following) but then I look for the file in the destination folder and there's nothing.
Exporting a text file in the same way works just fine though, so likely a bug.
Moreover, exporting it as a sidecar to a MOV file didn't help either.
I'll keep trying.
I'm not sure if this will apply to your situation but I had the exact same problem. For some reason it wasn't exporting properly because I had 2 caption tracks. One was empty and muted, but for some reason or another that screwed everything up. I deleted the empty track and it worked after that, but it was really annoying that it was a problem in the first place. I'm not sure if you have more than one track, but that was my issue and I was having the same result (I'd go to export and literally no file would get made). Hope that helps.
Nevermind, I spoke to soon. 4 out of my 6 sequences worked.....no explanation why. This is really annoying.
Nick, thanks for reporting. Yes, frustrating.
You are exporting srt from the Export Media settings? Or from the Text Panel? Or both?
I'm doing it from the text/captions panel - the "..." in the corner. I ended up getting the remainder of the files by literally copying everything > making a new sequence > pasting > and then it co-operated. Unfortunatley I couldn't pinpoint what the issue was or why anything I did even worked. On the first round of exports only 1 out of 6 sequences were able to export an srt (each sequences settings were also identical). Then after deleting the empty caption tracks I got 4 of the 6 to work and the final two worked by making new sequences.
I should also add that I'm on a Mac, OS 11.3, and premiere 15.1.
Thanks for reporting. Congrats on persistence and creativity!
I reported an unrelated caption bug the other day, which I could replicate consistently. But Adobe staff couldn't replicate it. I sent my project file, the one video file, and the srt I was using. Staff could see the problem.
In the meantime, I reset my preferences (related to another test I was doing for a user), and then reset the Captions workspace. Now I can't create the bug I saw before.
So for odd caption issues that seem inconsistent, I need to remember to recommend resetting the captions workspace, and if that doesn't help, resetting preferences. It is a tried and true method for fixing a lot of oddities.
I'm on 15.2 and encountered the same issue. My first caption was blank where there was just graphics on screen before any audio was captioned. I deleted that so that the first caption has words in it and the .SRT exported successfully.