• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 22.2 - poor HEVC 4:2:2 4K playback with computer exceeding system requirements

Guide ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Kevin. Updates are great. That's how stable it will be, the question is. I have already noticed that 4K files with a 4:2:2 subcriding are played back on the timeline with delays and jerks. I use Win 11, Core I9, M.2 - 3500 mb/sec, RAM - 32 Gb, Nvidia - 2070 Super with Studio Driver 511.65

I ATTACH A SCREENSHOT

Screenshot 2022-02-08 113503.png

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Baffy,

Sorry to hear that but thank you for reporting quickly on the matter. Which camera did this footage come from? Have a sample that I can share with engineering? Let me know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with all 22 versions including the new 22.2 update.

Camera: Fujifilm X-T3

Video format: HEVC 4:2:0 4K 60 fps HLG

Premiere Pro Sequence: Rec. 2100 HLG

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H

Video: RTX 3070

RAM: 16GB

I tried everything: setting all playback resolution and high quality playback on an off, Optimize render for: Memory and Performance, last nvidia studio and game drivers, turning on and off integrated graphics, dual boot to Windows 11.

Nothing helps. I get smooth playback for few seconds, then it start to freese to 1 frame or less per second with CPU to 100% and GPU to 0%. When I hit play it uses the GPU for few seconds (30-70% depending of playback resolution), then it drops to 0%

On my older PC with 32GB ram, Ryzen 7 4800H, GPU 2060 I get the same behavior. I'm going to upgrade RAM on my curent PC as well, but I don't think this will solve the issue.

Other footage plays fine, it seems the issue is only with the Fujifilm footage.

Older Premiere Pro versions works great (ex. 15.4), however HDR colors looks different (worse). How can I make v. 22+ work for me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Baffy

The title of your post states HEVC 4:2:2. I am not sure if Premiere Pro can use Quick Sync or Nvenc with the HEVC 4:2:2 video codec. Some 4K video codecs can bring a 24 core system to it's knees. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a client's order, nothing can be done. Sadly. I have been writing on the forum for a long time to make it more productive for this kind of codecs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can I drop the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to a Puget Systems article about H.264 and HEVC hardware decoding support in Premiere Pro, only 10-bit is supported for 4:2:2 HEVC (oddly, 8-bit 4:2:2 is not supported) - and only for the 11th- and 12th-Gen Intel CPUs using QuickSync. If you have a 10th-Gen i9 CPU, then you cannot use hardware decoding at all with 4:2:2 HEVC material. Only 4:2:0 is supported.

And Adobe does not currently support 4:2:2 hardware decoding at all with a discrete GPU. Again, only 4:2:0 is supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly. I'm really looking forward to this moment on a Core I9 9900K processor. I hope they will hear me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're out of luck there. It is a hardware limitation with both the 9th- and 10th-Gen i9's. These integrated IGP's are essentially the same as that in the 7th-Gen i7's. Even in DaVinci Resolve, only 4:2:0 is supported for hardware decoding in these older CPUs.

In other words, you're permanently stuck with software-only decoding with 4:2:2 material on your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it really impossible to come up with something other than to recode into a mounting codec or use a Proxy? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 11th and 12th generation CPUs from Intel have a better iGPU then the i9 9900K and the Quick Sync module got a revamp. Can an Alder Lake CPU playback some variations of H.264/265 at 8K. I hope they can but who knows for sure? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, it's expensive to switch to new processors every two or three years. After all, if the current processors were worth changing, it would be half the trouble. But there is also a motherboard and new improved RAM boards, etc. It's a little expensive. That's why I say it's bad that there is no acceleration for the I9 processor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Computer technology changes every year. Having said that your computer hardware can still encode and decode certain variations of H.264. My i9900K and RTX 2070 can edit the video clips from my Sony A7 III with ease using Nvenc or Quick Sync. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delighted. Thanks for the clarification. Very nice to hear )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if users have problems with playing this source using Nvidia RTX 30 series?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing. Adobe does not currently support hardware decoding of any 4:2:2 content with any discrete GPU. Even the RTX 3000 series.

Worse, Adobe does not currently have any plans whatsoever to add 4:2:2 H.265 hardware decoding support with even the newest discrete GPUs.

Worst of all, GPU prices by themselves are currently way more expensive than most of the 12th-Gen Intel CPU/motherboard/DDR5 RAM combos. (This applies to any reasonably powerful newer-gen GPU.) As in the RTX 3070 or better costs more by itself than the majority of the 12th-Gen i9 motherboard/CPU/64 GB DDR5 RAM combos put together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. Now for the cost of the RTX3000 card, you can build a computer. Funny of course. The card is a consumable, and the prices are like for a supported car.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to crosspost the following forum posts that are highlight the same problem:

H265 Editing Bugged in Premiere 2022 

fuji xt4 h265 adobe premiere 2022 not working 

Fuji X-T4 h.265/HEVC files very laggy in in Premiere 22.0.0 (Build 169) for Apple Silicon 

Premiere Pro 22.2 - poor HEVC 4:2:2 4K playback with computer exceeding system requirements 

Seems like a problem across all hardware. Adobe is currently recommending installing the Beta, which I'm doing now. Based on what I've read, this solves the playback issue but creates a whole host of others. I will post back here with my results. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cross posted- On the M1 Max 22.3.0 Beta performs better than the non beta version in playing back HEVC, but it is still so choppy that it's not functional to use as an editor for this type of footage. Using J,K,L transport control fails miserably and some footage just doesn't play back at all. This is after a cache clean and waiting for my file to update media (from 2021 to 2022 beta). Point being, not a solution (for XT3 footage, at least). Sticking to 2021 for now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I just had the same problem.. and found out my client has given me some mix bag of SONY footage. for e.g

1: Codec type : MP4/MOV H.264 4:2:0 (Full Range) (playing fine)...!

2: Codec type : MP4/MOV H.264 10bit  4:2:2 (Not Playing at all).

So what i tried is to jump to Davinci Resolve 17 and its playing pretty much fine.. a little lag but OK for editing. my timeline length is almost 40 min.

my system is XEON 2687W, Hp820 with 64gb RAM/ GTX 1070/ and a 7TB internal RAID 0. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe needs to up the ante of it's H.264/265 support for Nvenc and Quick Sync. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be nice to have her on board 🙌

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This lack of codec support is pushing me away from adobe towards da vinci. Even my 12700 3070ti setup is struggling to play back A7siii 10bit 422 files which is a shame.  Hope they can support this soon but looks like no. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Sophia,

That isn't very pleasant. Have you dropped the playback resolution? That can help. What about your system? Do you have fast HDs? Are they full? How about the Timeline? Do you have any effects applied? Let me know!

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines