• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro Cannot Link Media

Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I've been working on a project and I've had to transfer it from one computer to another via USB which was troublesome enough (I had to reformat the USB). I used Project Manager to copy all of the files required onto the USB and now I have opened the project on the other computer and it's saying that there are missing media for some clips. So I decide to manually locate the media files even though they are in the exact same folder that the project file is in. So I do that and now Premiere Pro is giving me "Cannot Link Media. The selected file cannot be linked because its file type (video) does not match the original file's type (audio and video).". This is simply not the case, as when I watch the videos in Windows Media Player (now called Films & TV) the video definitely has audio. The videos are in MP4 format. I have used Project Manager to move a project from one computer to another before and it worked fine. Help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Rename top folder the footage is in and try to re-link again.

See if that will help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rename top folder the footage is in and try to re-link again.

See if that will help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2018 Aug 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

-     -     -     "Rename top folder the footage is in and try to re-link again. See if that will help.     -     -     -

This works 100%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why, but this worked. I was running into an issue where Premiere could link the video but was deleting the imbedded audio. Renaming the first level folder name did the trick for some reason! Weird that that issue would still be present 5 years later...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Renaming the folder compels Premiere to make new media cache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not a fan of the Project Manager.  I feel the best tool for file management is a file manager, like Windows Explorer or Finder.

My advice would be to start over.  Manually copy all the media from the original computer to the USB drive, plus the project file.  Use that to rebuild the project on the second machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked. What a weird thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue but fixed it by right clicking on the clip in the timeline and then selecting "make offline" then selected "Media files remain on disk" and then once it was offline I was able to right click on the clip again in the timeline and now the "link media" option was able to be selected, so I then relinked the media successfully! 

I have no idea what caused this issue, i do not recall moving any files.... anyway mystery solved for me. I hope this helps someone else. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OMG! Thank you! This totally worked! unlink and relink.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines