Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro cannot open files in the Adobe Premiere Pro Project format

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I'm getting a very strange error of "... Premiere Pro cannot open files in the Adobe Premiere Pro Project format". The file was saved and can't be reopened in the same program version. I tried to downgrade the Premiere version but it doesn't work.

Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 19.05.58.png

I have the same issue with After Effects - is this problem with disk permissions or what?

Does any one have the same issue? 

Many thanks for any help.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, check out a thread with a similar question here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/premiere-pro-2020-not-opening-projects/m-p/11161646

Contains a workaround and 'correct' solution.

Google is your friend 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue ... that thread is unrelated. It's not a problem with the project; it's a problem with Ae and Pr refusing to open from Finder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thread isn't unrelated. The fix offered was to open Pr/Ae, create a new project and and then import your existing one into said new project. I realize it's not a complete solution but at least a workaround to at least see if you can get a project back online (albeit temporarily and in a "wow-this-is-a-pain" kind of way).

Anywho, bummer if that didn't work and you aren't able to get your project file open at all. Looks like the error is really on the MacOS side of things and not so much Adobe. I found two leads that may be helpful to you. (I have not had this issue myself, so I can't really verify the solutions... use at your own risk!)

A stack exchange user had the same issue: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/424444/error-after-effects-cannot-open-files-in-the-after-...

Their fix was: "A while back, I solved the issue without restarting by going to System Preferences > Security > Full Disk Access > Enable After Effects." Though, looks like that stopped working for them, so, your mileage may vary.

There's also a post on the Photoshop help page that is essentially the same problem: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/error-filenamepsd-could-opened-occurs.html

Hopefully one of those works... please let us know if you do find a solve. Looking around online, seems like this is a fairly common problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. (That "user" on stackexchange is me, BTW 🙂

The 'full disk access' solution indeed no longer helps.

And that Photoshop 'solution' mentions things I've already tried, to no avail.

I say 'unrelated' because the issue has nothing to do with the project file; I've tested extensively.

And the whole point of opening a file from the Finder is for the workflow of switching projects ... opening them 'manually' and re-creating them does not eliminate the step of opening them manually.

This issue applies to every single project file on my drive. I cannot open ANY project from Finder, or "Open With..."

And Adobe Support is as useless as it always is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's too funny about the Stack Exchange post being yours... lol

Only other things I'd maybe try (which I'd guess you already did) is copying the project onto an external drive and trying to open it from there (or, if it's on an external drive, copy to your desktop + open).

My only other recommendation would be to broaden your search to look for any fix to the more generic  "'Application' cannot open files in the 'filetype' format." Seems like it's a common-enough issue outside of the Adobe suite.

...but, again, I'd guess you've already done that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rzmota_,

Sorry for the issue. This issue has been cropping up for several versions now on updated projects. It's a better idea to remain on the version the program was created in. 

Options to try to work around the issue.

• Trash preferences (press Alt/Option) if opening the project file directly.
  • Import the legacy project into a new project file from the new version.

These things usually can solve your issue. Let us know if they do not.

Thank You,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin, are you saying that this is because a project was created in, say Ae 2020, and then does not open in Ae 2021?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan,

Not sure with AE, but with Premiere Pro that can happen. 

Cheers,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried it in Ae. Made a brand new 2021 project. Imported a 2020 project. Saved.

Still does not open.

Bummer.

Any way to reach the dev team to get this addressed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to clarify...

- Opening from "File > Open" works.

- Opening from "File > Recent > " works.

- Opening from Finder does NOT work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines