• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC turns off one of the monitors before crashing--HELP?!

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed Adobe Premiere Pro CC on my desktop, which has Intel Core i7, 3.20 GHz, 16 GB of RAM, and double video card on it. This is an Alienware Aurora ALX from 2011 with Windows 7 Home Premium. I've imported all the videos I need and once I start editing, about three minutes into working, it turns off one of the monitors. I have two monitors hooked up and one of them loses signal--it literally says the monitor has "no signal," which can't be true because I never touched the computer. So I tried unplugging and plugging back in, still no difference. And now when I reopen Premier Pro CC, not only does one of the two monitors go black, but the computer freezes. It's done this five times now and the only way to get the machine going is to turn it off manually by pressing the power button. I can't get past using the program for more than five minutes max before this crash occurs.

Is this a video card issue? A different hardware problem? Is it the program? What can I do to overcome this issue? I have multiple projects I've got to work on and if I knew I'd run into this problem, I probably would not have purchased the program... I'd be grateful for help/solution from someone!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Especially as you say you've a "double" video card ... please list the specs on that card. It occurs to me that an outside possibility is the card is overheating.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi volfgangamadeus,

I am sorry about this annoying issue.

Is this a video card issue?

I have a strong feeling that it is.

What is the make/model of your GPUs? Which version of display drivers have you installed?

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help, Kulpreet and Neil!

I just looked under Device Manager and I see two sets of "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460." I hope that's the right GPU (sorry I'm a computer noob). And I believe the guy who fixed my computer at the shop said the drivers are up to date on the video cards. He also mentioned that I don't necessarily need two cards on my computer. I just looked inside my computer and I see a little golden bridge connecting the two cards. Would it help if I disconnected and just used one video card? Would this positively or negatively affect my computer's performance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bridge between the two cards perhaps puts them in SLI mode, which is not always recommended for PrPro, and multiple video cards can sometimes be an issue.

But the main thing ... those 460's are ancient cards and have only 336 CUDA cores, plus an old internal code architecture that's not supported in the Adobe video apps these days. They aren't really of much if any use. You need new cards but then, what's the specs on the rest of that computer?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, I recently received this for free from a friend of mine:

Alienware Aurora ALX Review: A hardcore gaming PC with deadly looks and fast performance - Desktop P...

Do you think it'll help for me to take out one of the video cards? If not, is it easy to install a video card on my own? I would be more than willing to order a new compatible video card, if you have a suggestion. I will be editing a lot of videos... I shoot using Sony RX100 Mark III, which shoots 1080p in 60 fps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's very easy to swap out cards from a desktop computer. There's plenty of YouTube demo videos on how to do it.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, I've never done an upgrade myself before. Do you have any recommendation on a video card I can purchase? I'm pretty sure I can fit it in myself. What would I need to know in order to know it's compatible? Thank you for your time.

BTW, I just pulled out one of the video cards because Premiere Pro CC crashed again, which crashed the computer. When I took one of them out, the card was HOT as hell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow... I've been editing for the last 15 min nonstop and it is NOT crashing. Never gone this long before. Like I mentioned in the previous post, I took out one of the two video cards and it is running SMOOTHLY. Maybe it got too hot inside the computer with the two cards? I will keep editing and report back tomorrow. I might have found the solution! Keeping my fingers crossed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, thank you for your original suggestion about the double video cards overheating--you were right on the dot. I've been editing the last two nights with just a single video card and NO PROBLEM so far. Super ecstatic that I don't have to spend extra $$. Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always glad to help. The whole editing thing is a continuous learning experience. Year after year ... lol

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Especially as you say you've a "double" video card ... please list the specs on that card. It occurs to me that an outside possibility is the card is overheating.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I re-up this thread -- I have been encountering this issue since a couple of days ago after a 15 hour editing session, second monitor turns off before premiere pro crashing. Does anyone possibly have a solution for me?

GPU: 2070 Super (Drivers up to date via Nvidia Geforce Experience)
Procie : I7-10700K
Ram: 16Gb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this a couple times with the public  beta version, but not the shipping one.

Game-ready or studio drivers?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2021 Oct 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Game Ready Drivers I believe

Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 02, 2021 Oct 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pat,

Sorry about the poor experience. Have you tried installing the latest Studio driver for your GPU & checked if it's working properly?

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same problem. But my crashes happen occasionally like once or twice a day. I have a single GPU.

CPU: i7-8700

RAM: 32GB

GPU: MSI RTX3080

Mobo: Asus Prime 370-P 

Gfx driver type: Studio driver 

I have a 4 monitor setup. Let me know what I should do to fix the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines