Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere project using too much memory

Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Last night I was working on a project and all of a sudden my computer started running really slow. I closed down everything, rebooted the computer and reopened Premiere. Still having issues. I turned off the computer and this morning I rebooted and opened my project and still having issues. After a lot of exploring I discovered it was the Premiere project itself that I was working on (past projects are fine). At one point Premiere showed it was using over 30GB with only 16GB of RAM. I recently switched from a Windows laptop to an iMac and had this same issue before with a previous project on Windows. Every time I opened that project it crashed my computer. I was using two sequences and when I imported one sequence at a time I was able to work on that project. I tried that here and had no luck. Anyone know why a particular project would do this? Especially running smooth then all of a sudden it comes to a screeching hault? Any suggestions on how I can finish this project?

The two memories show how much memory was being used with the project open and once I closed it.

Project

1080p

29.9 fps

Computer

Mojave version 10.14.1

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013)

Processor: 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1024 MB

Thanks

Steve

Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 12.07.37 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-13 at 12.09.05 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing to do with such oddities in Pr isto trash preferences and there's a FAQ on the Overview page of this forum listed on how to do that.

Next is find where your cache/cache database and preview files are stored, close Pr, go to those locations and delete everything.

Reboot, relaunch, and give Pr a few minutes to rebuild. See if it's improved.

If not, create a new project file, use the Media Browser to navigate to the old project file and select/import.

See if that fixes it ... you've got corruption in the data for that project.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the information. i trashed the preferences as you recommended, I had already cleared the cache, I rebooted and tried opening in another project. None of these helped. I had a thought before but hadn't acted on it. By you saying a file was corrupted I decided to go back to open an auto save that was prior to the issues and that file was fine. Due to the issue happening so quick I knew what I had added last before the issue started. It was two still images. I had tried to delete them and that didn't help. But going back before I added them did. When I tried to add them again, the issues started again. Not sure why these two images are creating these issues. They are from Google Photos, have used pics from this source since Mac and a lot of them before the Mac and never had an issue. I have another issue in this video from Google Photos and it is fine.

Thanks

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wonder what the file structure is for those. But glad you got it sorted.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really not sure. Looking at a pic that worked and the ones that didn't and not seeing any difference. Glad things are working, even if I have to give up on those two elements for this video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you have a CC membership (not single app) I would suggest opening those in Photoshop and saving as jpeg.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines