So i started a new project yesterday using a mixed bag of footage. Gopro Hero 7 (mp4, .h264, 2.7k 50fps), Sony A7siii (mp4, .h265, XAVC S 4k 100fps) (slog3 and HLG, <-- not sure if this makes a difference yet), DJI Mavic 2 Pro (mp4, .h265, 4k 25fps), JPG photo timelapse. I proxied the A7siii footage, left the rest and editing went smoothly. Clip is 4 minutes 30 seconds, 4k 25fps timeline, 3840x1645.
(ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo if you want to look it up)
The problem came when i tried to render the project out.
So the problem is:
- Randomly freezes during export at a random percent everytime so i cannot isolate which clip or effect is the problem. No error message.
- Randomly freezes during "render in to out" at a random frame everytime so i cannot isolate which clip or effect is the problem. No error message.
- When i try to stop both of the above process premiere crashes.
- About 70% of the time i close premiere using task manager. The program closes but premiere seems to still be running in the background not allowing me to reopen premiere. I then have to restart my PC.
- 30% of the time i can close through task manager and then can try and re open premiere.
- The next problem is that when i reopen premiere. Either after restartimg my PC or just closing through task manager. It crashes on start up, gives a missing media error with no missing media or i get a blank monitor window, can do a couple of things and then crash. When premiere manages to resume the project i can then edit, playback and do whatever fine.... until i try and export again.
My trouble shooting process:
- Cleared cached and preference multiple time. Shift + Alt on premiere start up and manually.
- Dialled back to every previous version up to 14.4
- Removed all adjustment layers and effects leaving just raw video
- Called Adobe Support who helped me do a clean install. Tested a video export with the Adobe tutorial footage which worked fine... therefore it wasn't their problem.
In depth trouble shooting:
- I then managed to group all different media types (gopro, a7siii, mavic, photo timelapse) and export just the video (no effects, etc.) as DNxHR HQ 4k 25. This exported succesfully. I then imported those .mxf files back into premiere and applied the color grade and minor effects. Tried to export and failed again... same problem as above.
- I tried with out color grade and effects... failed.
No what i have done is copy the files over to after effects where i'm exporting the edit as a lossless .avi. I'm hoping i will then be able to use media encoder to convert that to .h264 and be done.
What i think is going wrong is that premiere or media encoder cannot handle the switch between media types during render. I'm guessing this was why i was able to render the media fine when it was grouped together. I did try to render individual clips while adding adjustment layers and effects 1 by 1 to see if it was anything to do with and adjustment or effect... it worked 50% of the time... but failed randomly, so could not isolate the problem again.
Tried searching for a similar problem but haven't found anyone who is experiencing this issue. Does anyone have any idea what problem i am experiencing? Or how to resolve?
Thanks in advance
Error or problem
Freeze or hang