• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Project file size grows for no apparent reason in large Production

Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone offer any ideas for why a project file would grow several MB a day when little to no work has been done on it?

I'm supporting a feature doc with a complex history that has now ended up in Premiere Productions and has experienced a lot of crashing, slow loading, and other bugs. I've solved a lot of the immediate issues, but have been seeing some project files grow randomly. IE I'll work for a bit on a string-outs project, adding a new sequence and making selects based on one of the other stringouts. The project only has timelines, the source clips live in other projects. The new timeline is 5-10min. I close the project and come back the next day and the project has grown by several MB. This continues every day for no apparent reason.

The size of the project file is not neccessarily a problem(yet), but I fear it is sign off some of the other problems I've been troublshooting. And seems to be escalating every day. This same thing happened before the production became unworkable and the director brought it to me.

What contributes to a growing project file size? What is different in the context of a production?

A few details about the Production:

- there was some operator error getting the project from where it once started into Productions that lead to a lot of duplicate clips living in different projects and associating to different timelines accross different version of the edit(partly a legacy of orignating as seperate projects back in FCP7, then in stand alone project in Premiere).

-extensive use of subclips

-extensive use or markers - some originally saved to XMP

-all media either pro res, or DV/DVCPRO, HD or SD

-audio media all AIFF or WAV, all 48kHz

-crashes were worst after merging many projects into Productions for the first time

-no use of warp stabalizer or other plug-ins or FX

-the director and I are cuttently working on a remote shared Production folder on LucidLink with all media stored locally on cloned drives.

I know long timelines are a major contributor to a projects file size, but I am seeing projects grow without adding new timelines or while working on only very short timelines that have no effect on size when removed. There seems to something else gonig on.

TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

There is a fix for this in the beta builds that I would recommend you use so that the dupes don't come back.  This will prevent the bug from happening that caused the dupes.  This will not fix any dupes that are currently there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar issue with a Production I just built. We haven't even begun cutting the film yet, we just brought in the multicams and footage from the single project that was used to ingest and prep. The single project containing everything, my dailies, my ingest work, my multicams is only 14mb, but when it gets into a Production it becomes 85mb with nothing new in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bruce Bullis might be able to get an answer for that problem.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff is already working directly with QE from my team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bruce!

I have to say, from many years heavy paricipation on this forum & some on Ae, Au, and Team Projects ... the participation of devs on helping suss out issues has grown dramatically over the last six months or so.

And is very, very appreciated!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this just a bug that can happen, is there anything I can do to prevent it? Rolling back to a previous version? Trying to get my team up and running on a project but concerned about the way the projects are growing without us doing anything in them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, we're finally getting to the bottom of it. Sounds like a very different situation than @BrianLevin . In my case the project jumps in file size becuase Premiere, in some cases, sees a marker on source clip in one project as different from the same markers on the same clip in a timeline in a different project. As a result the markers get duplicated over and over whenever both projects are opened together, gradually building up until there are 100s or thousands of dupes for the most used clips thus bogging down the system. I'm not clear yet why this happens, but seems to be mostly a problem for markers saved to XMP. The latest Beta version has a partial fix, and further fixes are on the way in the next update I am told. Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @BrianLevin are you seeing duplicate of any of your markers? It took some time for my issues to build up, so I'm guessing you are having a different issue. You can try breaking up the big project - or just deleting one set of clips at a time and then saving as you go to see if one set of clips has the biggest effect on project size. When I've run into to bugs it usually is connecting to a very small subset of material. So isolating that issue might help figure out what's going on. Also, how are you migrating the stand-alone-project into Productions. Maybe the way it is being imported has some effect on how gets translated. When I've have projects going smoothly in productions, I was able to keep all projects under 15mb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This project so far has no markers in it. We built it in it's own project, it's got a ton of multicams for interviews, and dailies sequences for outputting for the director to review and that's about it. No big sequences, nothing. Our main edit project that we built to start with is only 14mb, rather slim for how much I put in it. Once we put them into the Production and separated the dailies sequences from the multicams, both projects turned into 80mb with absolutely no changes to the projects. No work had been done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirming: Does any of the constituent media have/contain XMP markers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no markers on my media at all. I typically don't work with markers in general.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello J_Boy,

Thank you for the follow up information.

It's disappointing that no one from Adobe saw fit to communicate this information to users.

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Bruce Bullis,

From what J_Boy has posted below, this sounds like a Known Issue with Premiere Pro. And yet it isn't listed as one or communicated with users on the Known Issues page. I've written about this issue here.

This is a problem for users looking for reliable information on the software they pay for every month.

R.

@Bruce Bullis

@Kevin-Monahan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an issue currently being researched; we'll add it to known issues, as appropriate, once it's better understood. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that. R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh boy. I'm running into this currently in Productions and it's freaking me out.  Project files are growing rapidly with little or no changes to the projects.

Is there anything we can do to mitigate this? Should I be concerned about eventual corruption?  Do we think this is going to be reversible in the next version?

Happy to provide more info to anyone that needs it if it'll help nail down this issue and fix it in future versions.

Premiere 23.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For instance I just duped a project within the production that was around 10mb (and was already inflated - it should have been closer to 1 mb). I then deleted three markers from a sequence, saved and suddenly the filesize jumped *up* from 10mb to 57mb with no other changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scary stuff. I can relate to how your probably feeling everytime that file size jumps. My situation was only related to clip markers, not timeline markers. Are clip markers in play? If it is the duplicate marker problem it is obvious in the marker panel(Window>Markers). With the marker panel open click into the timeline or click through clips that have markers in the timeline. You'll see a bunch of identical markers in the marker panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! Thank you! Yes you're right there were only four duplicate instances of clip markers but once I deleted them the filesize went back to normal. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a fix for this in the beta builds that I would recommend you use so that the dupes don't come back.  This will prevent the bug from happening that caused the dupes.  This will not fix any dupes that are currently there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@artofwotGlad that did it. Keep the marker panel open and keep an eye out for more dupes. If the problem markers aren't essential, definitly delete them and move on or make fresh markers. I believe it shouldn't happen for newly created markers. And what Todd said ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines