Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quicktime screen recording glitches in Premiere

Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

so I like to draw in Photoshop, record the screen with Quicktime player and cut it into a speed drawing in Premiere. The recording is usally around 1 - 2 hrs and I speed it up to 3 - 4 min. That used to work great, but I haven't done it in a while, and when I tried again yesterday, I ran into this problem: In Premiere the footage glitches with green screens - not a preview problem, it renders like that as well. But when I open the original mov files in Quicktime, they look just fine. To render I used Media Encoder with the same settings as always (Youtube 1080p). Since I've cut other videos in Premiere recently and didn't have a problem there, I'm worried it might be something wrong with the mov files. I'm wondering if they're somehow damaged or if Premiere changed something so they can't read the files properly anymore.

Love to hear your ideas on how I can get these files working - otherwise I'd wasted 2 hrs of drawing 😞

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

A photo or video of the problem would be helpful, as well as what your system specs are.

I don't know if I'd be too worried about the 2 hours of drawing being wasted. If I had to guess it's either 1) you need to update some video drivers or something else on your system, or 2) if the file is not playing nicely with Premiere you can transcode it using any number of other transcoding softwares, including Handbrake, MPEG Streamclip, Shutter Encoder, FFMPEG, Resolve, etc.

In the future you can also

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

@mayjain It works!  So awesome, this has been a major hinderance.  Thanks!

Sorry, I didn't think to check the beta... 

Works perfectly in the Premiere Pro (Beta) Version 22.5.0 BETA (Build 16)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A photo or video of the problem would be helpful, as well as what your system specs are.

I don't know if I'd be too worried about the 2 hours of drawing being wasted. If I had to guess it's either 1) you need to update some video drivers or something else on your system, or 2) if the file is not playing nicely with Premiere you can transcode it using any number of other transcoding softwares, including Handbrake, MPEG Streamclip, Shutter Encoder, FFMPEG, Resolve, etc.

In the future you can also try other software for the screen capture, if Quicktime continues to be an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Handbrake worked, thanks for the tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Handbrake worked for me too. Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I'm having this problem too. I see your reply saying Handbrake worked. Excuse my daft question, just trying to clarify...did you transcode with Handbrake instead of using Media Encoder? or did you transcode your screen recording file before bringing it into Premiere? I've not used Handbrake before so not really sure how to integrate it into the workflow. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I think I figured it out actually, that you transcode the screen recording before importing it into Premiere. So, I'll try it out. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. It's often helpful to have other software about to transcode problem files. Sometimes when you can't open something in one program, you can get it to open in another. Useful for unsupported file formats, corrupt files, etc.

Also, Handbrake has the option to convert Variable Framerate media into a constant framerate. You should always check that box when transcoding in Handbrake (I believe it's under the video tab). This wouldn't be related to the green in the video, but screen recordings can also have VFR, so you may as well try to correct that while you're at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Philip Harvey, 

I've got a similar problem. Converting the .mov to an mp4 file (even with constant framerate using Handbrake) makes it lagg. Could you check my post on the community forum? Perhaps you know the solution!

Kind regards 

René

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I found a super easy way to fix this using the export setting in Quicktime, before importing the media into Premiere Pro. In Quicktime, I chose File>Export As>1080p>Greater Compatibility (H.264). After doing this, my screen recordings previewed and rendered as they should do.

I hope that this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked!!! You are an angel!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! this was so easy and worked perfectly!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked amazing! Thank you! I was having the same issue. Recorded with Quicktime screen recorder and when importing to Premiere, the footage would glitch and get pixelized both on preview and after exporting. This little hack saved my work! Really appretiate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great help! 👍🏼

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, awesome and simple solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi tasdemirfaruk, Phillip Harvey ,vascos85326211,JPK69, @miasidewinder , Ailish5C54, madkatworks,René5EDD, jessicar81086541,default2l6jtxmaluoi,taryns31544851,

Sorry for this problem. We have improved this workflow in the latest beta builds. Now you should be able to work with screen recordings directly in Premiere Pro without seeing any glitches rather than first transcoding them to other formats.
You can download the latest Premiere Pro Beta build from Creative Cloud --> Beta apps --> Premiere Pro (Beta)

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/creative-cloud-public-beta.html

Please let us know how it goes in the beta build. This is also on track to be available in normal builds. We will update you soon. I hope this will help.

If you still see this issue in beta builds, please share your original footage. We will check it at our end and take quick action. 

Thanks,
Mayjain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing this from QuickTime screen recording capture - below the book "glitches" or is garbled in Adobe Premiere:

glitch.gif

None of these solutions resolves it perfectly - I've tried:

• Variable and constant bitrate from Media Encoder
  • Variable and constant bitrate from HandBrake
  • QuickTime export for greater compatibility

Certainly expect this to work in Adobe Premiere without having to go through a conversion process.

macOS Monterey 12.3.1

Apple M1 Pro

Premiere Pro 22.3.1 (Build 2)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jasonsturges 

Right-click the screen recording in the Finder and choose Encode Selected Video Files.  When the options window appears, choose ProRes.

The resuliting file will be large, but that's why it'll edit well in Premiere Pro, Media Composer, Resolve, Vegas Pro, so-forth and so on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Warren Heaton Hi - ProRes works, but seems needless overkill.  As flagship video software, I would expect Adobe Premiere to be able to handle a screen capture.

DaVinci Resolve has no problem with the original QuickTime files:

davinci.gif

But I do appreciate your solution.

@mayjain Maybe I'm too early, but mentioning I still this issue in Premiere 22.3.1 (Build 2)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jasonsturges , Thanks for the update. Can you once try this in the latest beta build ? Let me know. 
Thanks, Mayjain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mayjain It works!  So awesome, this has been a major hinderance.  Thanks!

Sorry, I didn't think to check the beta... 

Works perfectly in the Premiere Pro (Beta) Version 22.5.0 BETA (Build 16)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's wonderful.. so glad .. This fix is on track to be available in normal version update too, very soon. 

Thanks,Mayjain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jasonsturges , The new Premiere Pro version 22.4 has been released. You can check out this fix there as well. 

Let us know how it goes in the new version.

Thanks, Mayjain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@mayjain Works perfectly!  Thanks, again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines