• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Ingest and Trancode" functionality in Productions

Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking for a way to automatically Transcode footage upon import when using Productions.  In a normal premiere project, I would use the "Transcode" function in Ingest Settings.  Unfortunetly those settings do not exist in Productions.  Any ideas?  I want to do everything in Premiere wihtout needing to go through Media Encoder first.  

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good question, AG. 

This one is covered in the PDF you can download from our user guide. I have a link for that here. Ingest Settings are really only for a single computer and not a group environment. 

There you will find the basic instructions for how to deal with Ingest Settings, the workflow, and how to create proxies for that footage.

Can I use Ingest Settings with a Production?

Ingest settings are disabled in the Production Settings dialog because they are designed to apply to a single computer at a time. To use Ingest Settings first close your Production and create a standalone project that is saved outside of the Production folder. Set your desired Ingest Settings and import your media.

After all ingest operations have finished, save your project and close it. Open your Production and use the
Add Project command to bring the project file into your Production. From there you can use the ingested clips normally.

<and you can then create proxies inside the application after they are imported by right clicking the clips and choosing Proxy > Create Proxies...>

Hope this advice helps you. Definitely check out that PDF. I learned a lot by studying that.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I already found that PDF document but the workflow is not compatible with our newsroom environment because ingesting is never "finished".  Footage always comes in late as the story develops.  If we go with your suggestion of creating a project outside of the production to import and then add it to the production, then what happens when we need to import more footage that comes in late?  Do I need to creat yet another project and repeat the process?  If so, that is going to create a mess of micro projects.  

You guys already have a great tool to solve my problem with "Ingest" that lives in adobe premiere.  Is there a way to manually trigger "ingest" (with a globally set codec and file location) the same way I can manually trigger the "proxy" function?

I am trying to make this ideot proff so my reporters can focus on storytelling instead of copying settings over.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello AG,

Thanks for the response.

Do I need to create yet another project and repeat the process?  If so, that is going to create a mess of micro projects.  

You guys already have a great tool to solve my problem with "Ingest" that lives in adobe premiere.  Is there a way to manually trigger "ingest" (with a globally set codec and file location) the same way I can manually trigger the "proxy" function?

I am trying to make this ideot proff so my reporters can focus on storytelling instead of copying settings over.  

Understood. You've explained your situation well. No, I don't believe there's a way to trigger the ingest settings in a Production because of the way that feature is currently wired up. I'll inform the engineers about your conundrum and see if they might have some suggestion I am unaware of. If not, I'll advocate for a better ingest process for people using Productions who need a more streamlined workflow for ingesting footage. In the meantime, a feature or fix can be written up here on the engineering's User Voice site. 

Sorry about the frustration.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin,

Let me know what the engineers say.  I already submitted a request on the User Voice site.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great A.G., may I have a link to that feature request, please? I would like to help you advocate for a feature that would serve you best.

I did hear back. The quality engineer on the feature suggests the following option where you do not need to add the Ingest Project to the Production. 

Here are the steps:

1. Close your production
  2. Create a standalone project outside the production, used only for ingesting
  3. Set the ingest settings how you like
  4. Open the production (now both the production and standalone are open at the same time)
  5. Import clips into the Ingest project, wait for them to finish any of the background transcoding, copying, or proxy creation
  6. Drag or copy/paste the clips into a project in the production

You just have that project live outside the production folder and let it serve your ingest purposes. You can use the same project over and over for this and it doesn't clutter up the Production. Each editor could also choose to have their very own Ingest Project, which is an option for your team, depending on your operations there.

Let me know if this would work for you. 

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting workflow, Kevin. Hadn't heard any ideas of working like this ... wonder what else we could find out?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My feature request is here.  

The 2nd project workaround is interesting but the waiting part is problematic...

Import clips into the Ingest project, wait for them to finish any of the background transcoding, copying, or proxy creation

One of the bennefits of the "ingest" function in normal premiere projects is that an editor can continue working while it processes in the background.  Having to wait around for everything to finish is a huge problem in a fast paced newsroom.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi A.G.

It looks as though your request was considered but denied. I will see if I can get that changed because you are right. In the news business, shaving off time as much as possible needs to be achieved. The Productions workflow was created with feature films in mind, and news folks need tools tuned for a very different workflow. I will do my best.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will add that this issue has made Productions virtually USELESS to our production company, We loved Productions as a way to keep everything for a season of a show organized. Our templates for new ep's are housed there as are the global files that are often gone back to repeatedly. It has saved us a huge amount of time. Even when it's just me primarily doing the editing myself (with the occasional helper to come in and tweak or assistant edit). 

But we don't have the time to implement this workaround the Developers have suggested. It's honestly ridiculous to ask this of your users. You rolled out this amazing Productions option, which we have been using and loving. We, as a small production company, are constantly reminded that Productions wasn't built for users who often only have 1 editor. But in our operation, I have found it a great option for the single editor production company, and have spent a LOT of time laying out our templates and Production setup for a current season of a show we're producing.

Then the world changed with PR 2022 - and suddenly nothing coming out of iPhones, GoPro's, DJI's, etc. seem to work anymore. Glitches galore and a change from 96% of time being on creative/4% of time being on tech, to an unacceptable 96% of time on Tech and virtually no time for creative anymore. And from what I've read, the issue with the consumer based video compression and Codecs has made PR and those vid files virtually unusable together (as many on the internet have reported about - including myself, with 8 minute videos SO filled with glitches that we can't make deadlines!). And the only real solution I can seem to find is that all of that footage needs to be ingested and transcoded to Apple ProRes 422 LT if I have any hope of being able to edit a 12 minute segment without massive lags and exporting glitches. 

But your Developers don't think Productions need the option for ingesting and transcoding? Just like the news producer who spoke above, we are ALWAYS having new footage coming into a project mid-stream. We'll often realize as we're close to finalizing an episode, that there is a need for additional footage/interviews, etc. And we quickly run out and shoot that content. And as a small operation without a lot of help, I can't even comprehend that Adobe thinks it's ok to put so many roadblocks in the way to getting that footage into a segment from mixed media and getting the darned thing finished and exported for a timely delivery.

Seriously, you're killing us with this. Not all of us want to be working on a 96% of time toward tech/4% of time toward creative! I mean, we'd all LOVE to be putting out Spielberg level stuff, and it's great that Adobe allows us the tools to do that when there's time and infrastructure. But most of us who create daily/weekly content don't have that kind of infrastructure.

So i guess the answer is to dump Productions now?

Oh, and for the record, my first attempt at transcoding to ProRes 422LT created 80 gigs of unusuable footage. So I have that hurdle to figure out now too. I don't honestly know what's worse- trying to pre-arrange all of these things before an edit and having nothing but issues, or just getting to the tail end of an edit and having to re-render and export a thousand versions to finalize a project, as nothing seems to work in real time anymore.

Call me: On the verge of going back to cave drawings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An excellent post, and as a small-shop Productions user I do understand.

I don't see why the full ingest settings aren't available to us. Adobe staffers are in their "Winter" (Christmas) shutdown this week, but I'll still 'ping' several to see if some attention can be generated.

@mattchristensen @TrentHappel @Francis-Crossman 

Gentlemen, would you care to respond here please?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use the alternative workflow and it is not the same as having it integrated in productions for the reasons given for fast pace environments that need to transcode or copy while editing. I'm not sure why this idea that it needs to be one computer matters at all. Ingest can be toggled on and off.
Also, the inability to reverse match frame is the other production killer. Editors need to know how many times a master clip has been used in all the production's project's sequences. It's built into regular projects so why wouldn't it be in productions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe @Bruce Bullis could pop in with some assistance.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>... so why wouldn't it be in productions?

Because Productions are not, themselves, "uber-projects"; they are simply an association of projects.

We're familiar with the proxy-related Productions issues, and plan to address them in our next round of Productions improvements. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates regarding this?

proxy creation inside a production.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No updates to report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 03, 2024 Feb 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates so far. I need to ingest and transcode footage and think of switching to productions for a more robust linking workflow.. But I am not sure if it fits my needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2024 Feb 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A lot of us are wanting an ingest process in Productions. For me, that's the one biggest annoying issue. And I work in a Production except when I need to not, for testing some stand-alone process or something.

The closest is adding media via the Import page to a current project, as Karl Soule recently shared on the Facebook group page. It does have some options, and I'd look at the top right to see if it can meet your needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines