"Ingest and Trancode" functionality in Productions

Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking for a way to automatically Transcode footage upon import when using Productions.  In a normal premiere project, I would use the "Transcode" function in Ingest Settings.  Unfortunetly those settings do not exist in Productions.  Any ideas?  I want to do everything in Premiere wihtout needing to go through Media Encoder first.  

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good question, AG. 

This one is covered in the PDF you can download from our user guide. I have a link for that here. Ingest Settings are really only for a single computer and not a group environment. 

There you will find the basic instructions for how to deal with Ingest Settings, the workflow, and how to create proxies for that footage.

Can I use Ingest Settings with a Production?

Ingest settings are disabled in the Production Settings dialog because they are designed to apply to a single computer at a time. To use Ingest Settings first close your Production and create a standalone project that is saved outside of the Production folder. Set your desired Ingest Settings and import your media.

After all ingest operations have finished, save your project and close it. Open your Production and use the
Add Project command to bring the project file into your Production. From there you can use the ingested clips normally.

<and you can then create proxies inside the application after they are imported by right clicking the clips and choosing Proxy > Create Proxies...>

Hope this advice helps you. Definitely check out that PDF. I learned a lot by studying that.

Regards,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I already found that PDF document but the workflow is not compatible with our newsroom environment because ingesting is never "finished".  Footage always comes in late as the story develops.  If we go with your suggestion of creating a project outside of the production to import and then add it to the production, then what happens when we need to import more footage that comes in late?  Do I need to creat yet another project and repeat the process?  If so, that is going to create a mess of micro projects.  

You guys already have a great tool to solve my problem with "Ingest" that lives in adobe premiere.  Is there a way to manually trigger "ingest" (with a globally set codec and file location) the same way I can manually trigger the "proxy" function?

I am trying to make this ideot proff so my reporters can focus on storytelling instead of copying settings over.  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello AG,

Thanks for the response.

Do I need to create yet another project and repeat the process?  If so, that is going to create a mess of micro projects.  

You guys already have a great tool to solve my problem with "Ingest" that lives in adobe premiere.  Is there a way to manually trigger "ingest" (with a globally set codec and file location) the same way I can manually trigger the "proxy" function?

I am trying to make this ideot proff so my reporters can focus on storytelling instead of copying settings over.  

Understood. You've explained your situation well. No, I don't believe there's a way to trigger the ingest settings in a Production because of the way that feature is currently wired up. I'll inform the engineers about your conundrum and see if they might have some suggestion I am unaware of. If not, I'll advocate for a better ingest process for people using Productions who need a more streamlined workflow for ingesting footage. In the meantime, a feature or fix can be written up here on the engineering's User Voice site. 

Sorry about the frustration.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin,

Let me know what the engineers say.  I already submitted a request on the User Voice site.  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great A.G., may I have a link to that feature request, please? I would like to help you advocate for a feature that would serve you best.

I did hear back. The quality engineer on the feature suggests the following option where you do not need to add the Ingest Project to the Production. 

Here are the steps:

1. Close your production
  2. Create a standalone project outside the production, used only for ingesting
  3. Set the ingest settings how you like
  4. Open the production (now both the production and standalone are open at the same time)
  5. Import clips into the Ingest project, wait for them to finish any of the background transcoding, copying, or proxy creation
  6. Drag or copy/paste the clips into a project in the production

You just have that project live outside the production folder and let it serve your ingest purposes. You can use the same project over and over for this and it doesn't clutter up the Production. Each editor could also choose to have their very own Ingest Project, which is an option for your team, depending on your operations there.

Let me know if this would work for you. 

Regards,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting workflow, Kevin. Hadn't heard any ideas of working like this ... wonder what else we could find out?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My feature request is here.  

The 2nd project workaround is interesting but the waiting part is problematic...

Import clips into the Ingest project, wait for them to finish any of the background transcoding, copying, or proxy creation

One of the bennefits of the "ingest" function in normal premiere projects is that an editor can continue working while it processes in the background.  Having to wait around for everything to finish is a huge problem in a fast paced newsroom.   

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi A.G.

It looks as though your request was considered but denied. I will see if I can get that changed because you are right. In the news business, shaving off time as much as possible needs to be achieved. The Productions workflow was created with feature films in mind, and news folks need tools tuned for a very different workflow. I will do my best.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines