Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Replacing footage in premiere with graded equivalent from davinci

Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2024 Oct 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone,

So I'm making a video with quite a bit of effects. Intertitles, overlays, mixed media essential graphics, clips with fade ins and outs, the works. However, I find Davinci's color grading to be far superior to Premiere's in quality and efficiency, so I exported the timeline as an xml, brought it into davinci, graded them, and am now trying to bring the graded footage back into the premiere pro timeline to replace the ungraded footage. However, as you can see from the provided screenshot, there were quite a bit of assets and particular SFX and VFX aligned with particular clips. I'm wondering, is there any way I can insert that graded footage right where the ungraded clips are? With the fades, effects, and adjustments made direclty on the clips preserved? Thank you in advance!

Premiere Bday template .png

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The full round-trip process is a bit of a pain but there are some major parts to it.

First, do you have new media from Resolve for all that, or only the video clips? 

For video clips that you have replacements for, the replacements must be named identically to the clip they replace, should be in similar folder structures. You "offline" the old clips in their bins in the project, then relocate using the new clips.

You should only need to locate one clip per folder/bin, PrPro should auto-select the rest.

This proces replaces the clips on their current sequence, and should not affect transitions and such. 

I work for/with/teach pro colorists, and have been in Resolve daily for over a decade of course. But as someone also knowledgeable in how to push Lumetri around, and actually get targeted changes using a control surface, I don't often do my Premiere project color in Resolve other than to recreate it there for demo purposes.

It's faster, when knowing Lumetri and using a good control surface!!!! ... to simply stay in Premiere, and not do the round trip fandango.

That Tangent Elements panel is a full-on Swiss Army knife, doing stuff all over in Premiere ... such as audio mixing, sizing/position/rotation of any screen elements, and yea, vastly improving the quality and speed of working color in Lumetri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can always try to give the graded clips a prefix or suffix, place them in a folder, offline all your files that are on the sequence and then try to link the graded files.

@R Neil Haugen with all due respect Legend, Adobe is not still up there when it comes to colring compared to resolve and baselight. In my opinion, Adobe is excelling in optimizing its eco-system but falling behind in coloring and the forward thinking of venturing into hardware... like camera systems and lenses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can respectfully disagree, but ... notice I said while working with a control surface?

If you are mousing it ... Lumetri will take for freaking ever to get where you want it to go, if you can. No question about that.

If working with both a good control surface, and knowing how to make Lumetri do both batch and targeted adjustments, it's far more capable than most users realize. I work for/with/teach pro colorists. And I've had fun demoing that I could mimic what they'd done in Resolve, close enough, so that very few viewers over any normal distribution method could tell the difference.

"You did that in Lumetri?"

Yup.

But again, you can't ...  without ... both a full control surface like my Tangent Elements, and a full knowledge of exactly what each tool does, which is often notably different from what people think they do.

But then, I wouldn't want to do color in Resolve without a panel either. Even there, that's so freaking slow once you're used to working a panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2024 Oct 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are indeed respectfully disagreeing. I genuinly consider you a Legend 🙂
Its not only about how you work with it, but what it can produce.
I am an award-winning director who preaches Lumetri, and still do. Trust me I only bash it as friendly fire, would never give the enemy that satisfaction. lol
But sir, trust me, im running out of arguments with 1 year old graders and 10 year old graders. im losing the war here. And frankly, although im insisting that lumetri is great, top-notch graders with the best control surfaces would laugh at me when i mention lumetri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I understand thoroughly. Lumetri is a truly odd implementation and for most uses, it is rather more frustrating than about anything else.

Chiefly, it is nearly impossible to do specific, targeted changes that also blend without artifacts. UNLESS ... and it's that whole "unless" thing that is both key, and incredibly beyond annoying.

Which is why I made such a series of specific comments, back when an earlier super decided to end SpeedGrade, that I was not ... shall we say, welcomed on sight? ... at NAB that year.

I still have Sg installed on an older machine and occasionally use it for specific things. And that's even though I've been doing training vids while Resolve 19 was still beta, on using Tangent's new Warp Engine process to actually break out of Resolve's limited mapping and add tools to an Elements panel.

Sadly, I can't repeat a comment from NAB this year. But ... I do believe there is hope to get Lumetri utterly replaced. When? No clue. But ... possibly? I think so.

But as a practical guy, I'll teach how to make the current kitty cat bark and growl like a real dog. Ha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm all with practicality.

My moto is: if you can do it in lumetri (Based on a bunch of situations and consitions), don't do it in resolve.
Which rsembles my other mote: If you can do it in essential graphics, don't go to AE. And if absolutely need to go to AE, template it as a mogrt and avoid dynamic link at all costs.

I think, and I hope I will be heard: Lumetri is great a starting point as a tool and it has potential, but for it to expand it needs to somewhat detach from Premiere and be thought of as a stand alone tool which can be integrated within both premiere and AE workflows. Even the name is cool, don't just drop it. I really hope it is given a bit more attention than is given to rush and elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've argued for complete restructuring.

Like ... we add tabs of Lumetri as we wish. You want three successive wheels tabs, nothing else? Fine.

The ability to pic-whip, like in Ae, to select the start data for any tab/tool.

Pivot points for most tools, including Contrast control.

And on ... 😆

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines