Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Reverse the order of clips in a sequence?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a mistake and dropped a bin folder directly into the sequence instead of selected all the clips inside the folder.  I began pulling my selects and about 3 hours in I noticed the clips were ordered from last shot to first shot.   Clip E, clip D, clip C, clip B, clip A. for example.

I spent several hours pulling selects but the footage is not in the correct order. is there a way to select all the clips and reverse the order they are in?  So they will be clip A, clip B, Clip C, and so on.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could nest them and then reverse the nest.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean reverse the speed of the clips so they're playing backwards?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

xmas1138  wrote

Do you mean reverse the speed of the clips so they're playing backwards?

Oops.

I guess that won't work.  I should have thought that through.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many clips are there that need to be reversed?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no simple or automatic way to do this.  Manually one clip at a time is all you can do.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s a shame. After Effects has this feature for keyframes where one could easily reverse the order of a selected group.  I think I have around 100-200 clips that need to be rearranged.  I’d like to find a work around beyond manually rearranging clips if starting a new sequence is out of the question

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe there is anything else you can do here.  Arranging clips in the sequence is the very essence of editing, and can only be done manually.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It´s actually easier and definitely less time consuming to delete all clips from the timeline and use the Name tab in the Project panel to sort the clips A, B, C, D etc and then select the clips in the Project panel and drop them on the timeline. By doing this you clips will be placed/arranged correctly. You can select all clips in one go by selecting the first clip, press and hold down Shift, select the last clip.

Make sure that you are dragging the clips and not the actual bin and of cource that they are sorted the right way. Sort the clips from either A-Z or Z-A by clicking on the Name tab in the Project panel.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2020 Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If no one has figured it out..It can be done, but on import..To reverse order just click the little arrow toggling ascend/descend next to "title" at the top, what ever the order is within the import dialog box is how it'll be imported into the timeline.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way clips are dropped in the timeline is determinded by the way they are selected in the Project Window.

So if you select from top to bottom will give you a different order then selecting from bottom to top in the PW.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I found a janky hack to solve this. So, you can drag clips FROM the timeline TO the project bin as well as from the project bin to the timeline.... you might see where I'm going. Create a dummy bin in your project. Highlight the clips you have in the wrong order and drag them into this bin. Hey presto, they are added to the bin in your edit order. Now as Premiere allows you to drag from the project bin to the timeline in the order you select your footage, simply highlight the clip you want to be at the beginning of the edit (currently your last clip) and Shift + Up key to select all the clips (I discovered that Shift and click to 'select all' doesn't work - the fact you 'click' selects them in the wrong order!). Then drag your highlighted clips back onto your timeline and you have reveresed the order! The only hitch is that it brings all the audio from the whole video file, not just your edited section but this is fairly simply to delete all audio and ripple delete the gaps. I know this thread is years old but hopefully this helps someone!? Please feel free to ask questions or see if we can further refine this technique 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please someone give this guy an award. You just saved me a quite a bit of time. great hack!

Im experimenting with a 'irreversible' (french film) style short documantry film where i edited my sequence in order and then decided i wanted to try having it start at the end and finish at the beginning.

This work around did the trick, and it could also be a handy addition if adobe provides an automatic way to do this, for people who want to play around by reversing the narrative or order of their sequence from end to beginning. thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice one Charlie! 👍

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that! 

Moritz

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Moritz. Your portfolio is stunning. Those pics from Iran, woah!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks a lot @Demand Marketing ! the movie is coming out this october via redbull.

Big hugs

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please do a youtube video or something on how to do this? I am trying to visualize what you are describing here and it is still kind of unclear. Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Faith, if I get a chance I will try and do that! 👍

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Absolutely brilliant, thank you

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines