• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scratch disks are write protected or unavailable?

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2014 Apr 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premier Pro on a MAC.

Error code:

Scratch disks are write protected or unavailable. To open this project,, the scratch disks will be set to your Documents folder. Would you like to continue?

I don't know what to do, i've googled this issue and can't find any solutions.

/ Andreas

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Hi All,

I was going crazy with this issue bc nothing worked for me (trashing prefs etc).  What did work, though, was giving Prem 22 'Full Disk Access'. 

System pref > Security and Privacy > Privacy

Click 'Full Disk Access' and make sure your premiere is checked.

I reopened Premiere with the same project file that was previously unusable, and wallah, opened normally, everything linked!

I hope this helps someone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click yes.  You can always change the location of the scratch disks once the project is open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that there is still something wrong since if i go in and change the scratch disks and try to eport or render anything i get the following error message:

ERROR COMPILING MOVIE. UNKNOWN ERROR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a tough one to help with, just because the cause is 'unknown'.  My only recommendation is to troubleshoot until you can find something that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2014 Jun 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem. It happened when I updated to Mavericks.

Now all my old projects (created before the update)  get this message at the beginning.

When I click yes then the project opens but I need to reconnect all media. This is a real pain since I have about 10  quite complicated projects on the external hard drive and I just can't afford to waste time reconnecting all media and fiddling with it.

Any project created after the update works just fine, only the ones from before the update give me the error.

I've tried virtually everything under the sun. If anyone came across the solution please please post.

I'll keep you updated on how I get on.

Andreas you might find this useful: Adobe Premier Pro Scratch Disk is Write Protected or Unavailable | Arcturus Productions

Apparently helped a lot of people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2014 Jun 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found this: Re: Pre Pro Scratch disk write protected or unavailable???? : Adobe Premiere Pro

Hold down the option key, click the Premiere Pro icon and let the program start until the menu comes up. This will delete the preference files. It should work like a charm after.

Please let me know if works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2014 Dec 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, and your solution worked for me.  Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2016 Jun 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! This worked for me too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Legend!! @JoannaSappho

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to High Sierra and the problem presented itself. Holding down the Option key while launching Premiere fixes it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holding the Option Key while launching worked 1 time ONLY. back to wanting to move the scratch disk to the "Doc" folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am SO glad I stumbled upon your advise. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2023 and this worked like a charm on Macbook Pro. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2015 Feb 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what helped me. It was a permissions issue on my Mac.

In PP (CC 2014), I went to file > project settings > scratch disks.

Since there are 5 options, make sure that you have "read and write" permissions properly set on the folders that you have designated there.

For instance, for the "Captured Video" path, let's say your designated folder is set to Users/You/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Pro/8.0.

I went in Finder to the parent Adobe folder (Users/You/Documents/Adobe), right-clicked the folder and selected Get Info.

After unlocked the lock on the bottom right, I made sure that for the permissions at the bottom, the user "everyone" was "read only", but ALL of the others were "read and write".

Then I clicked the little gear and hit "Apply to enclosed items" and confirmed.

This resolved it for me.

hope it helps someone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 07, 2015 Feb 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your absolutely right fallingscalesmedia.

The only this is that every time you do a repair permissions your system removes that permission. So you have to re-enable it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2016 Jun 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue on my work PC. I was rendering a project and somewhere near the end of rendering the computer freaked out and it seemed as though I had lost hours of work and tons of footage. I ended up just restarting the computer but when I tried to reopen the project I got the error that the drive was write protected....etc. etc.

Called IT and we worked on it for a few (minutes, hours, days, who knows) but it didn't work and we were left scratching our heads. We tried to give the drive all permissions, tried to make sure it was shared appropriately, did everything under the sun other than summon it back from the dead.

I finally tried to go deep into the drive and went into the tools section of the drive and had it do some error-checking and there were some errors that needed to be fixed! HALLELUJAH that was all that needed to be done, all is right with the world again. The sun is shining, water is blue again, flowers were blooming and I can get back to work and stop lollygagging in the forums.

Hope this helps someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your file name - I removed the "/" from my file name/project title and magic happened.

After almost throwing my mac out the window. Such a simple fix.

Hope it helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2016 Dec 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dominique.Few thanks!

Problem on Mac solved with removing the "/" from file name/project title.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used disk doctor in utility disk to scan my external drive, some errors were found and fixed.  the problem was solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did it for me. Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

So I tried every solution that everyone gave, but it didn't work for me. But when I went in to check the "read and write" permissions I noticed that my disk was full. After making some room on the hard drive and resbooting my computer, I opened Premiere up again and it worked. So, if you are like me and tried everything listed here already make sure that you go ahead and also check the storage of your disk! 

Happy Editing!

Katie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Katie, you're a legend, wish I could hug you right now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2022 Feb 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all possible solutions but this one worked for me

for Win

Goto settings - virus & threat protection - ransomware protection - Allow an app throght Controlled folder access - add Adobe premier from add  button and done

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot, you're a life saver!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines