• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shortcut key for editing transcript

Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using the speech-to-text feature for a couple of months now, but editing the transcript is a bit clunky. Currently I have to double-click in the transcript panel to enter editing mode. This selects the whole current "paragraph", ignoring where I just clicked.

One thing that would make this a tiny bit easier would be if there was a shortcut key to enter "edit mode" in the transcript panel. That way I wouldn't have to mouse over to the panel each time. I've looked in the keyboard shortcuts but see nothing obvious. If this was an MS Office app (heaven forbid!) it would be the F2 key.

Does one exist?

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction: As of V15.4 double-clicking in the transcript window DOES take notice of where the mouse was at the time. So that's a step in the right direction! A shortcut key would still be nice so as not to require the use of the mouse in the middle of what is otherwise a keyboard-focussed workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I thought at first you are editing the TRANSCRIPT after you have a Caption Track. And perhaps you are. I haven't tried that, and am not sure what the best workflow might be. Played with this for a while... In 15.4.

In any event, the shortcut that may be useful is "Edit current segment." By default it is unmapped, but the convention is to be to map it to Ctrl-Alt-X. See this thread that was looking at using this shortcut to add captions manually:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/captions-window-needs-to-be-scrolled-down-for-every-sing...

This shortcut works in both the timeline and the Text Panel - and for the caption track or the transcript.

But it acts where the focus is. So if your focus is the timeline, it opens the edit mode there. If the focus is in the Text Panel, it opens edit mode there.

AND, in the timeline, it enters edit mode for the SELECTED caption, even if that is not the one that is under the CTI. (You cannot position the cursor, but you can see the selected text, and edits, in the Essential Graphics Panel.) But in the Text Panel (Transcript or Captions tab), the caption/transcript section under the CTI is what is selected, so that is what gets edited using this shortcut.

So if you are solely in the Text Panel, you click on the word you want, and shortcut into edit mode, which goes into edit mode with that word already highlighted.

In the timeline (with the already created Caption Track), the word(s) under the CTI is selected in the Text Panel, but we have to shift the focus back there in order to use this shortcut.

I tried the shortcuts for switching to various panels. For example, Shift-3 goes to the timeline. There is no shortcut to get to the Text Panel. There is a shortcut to go to next/previous panel: Ctrl-Shft period or comma. BUT using it gets us to the Text Panel, but does not make the focus the current tab there (Transcript or Caption), or for some other reason, the shortcut "edit selected caption" does not work.

Bottom line: if you are working solely on the transcript in the Text Panel, click on the word you want, and use the shortcut. If you are working in the timeline, on a caption track, you can select the word in the transcript, but you must click on the Transcript tab before using this shortcut. 

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines