• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Show speaker name with captions in Premiere Pro?

Engaged ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new captions feature allows me to identify individual speakers, but then when I click 'create captions' it doesn't show the speaker's name anywhere. What is the point of identifying the speaker and how do I show their name with their subtitles?

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

It looks like a start to a future feature. I see nowhere that the speaker name appears. It is not exported from the transcribe tab options to export a text file. The speaker names are imported with a saved transcript.

For anyone who has not tried this: You must elect the Speakers option when transcribing. After you do, in the Transcript tab, you will see, for example, "Speaker 1" etc on the left? Left click on Speaker 1, and pick "Edit Speakers." Change each name to whatever you want for that

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like a start to a future feature. I see nowhere that the speaker name appears. It is not exported from the transcribe tab options to export a text file. The speaker names are imported with a saved transcript.

For anyone who has not tried this: You must elect the Speakers option when transcribing. After you do, in the Transcript tab, you will see, for example, "Speaker 1" etc on the left? Left click on Speaker 1, and pick "Edit Speakers." Change each name to whatever you want for that speaker. It replaces "Speaker 1" with your edit. Same for "Speaker 2," etc.

Upvote this feature request:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/42901230-beta-add-speaker-n...

Edit 10/4/23. This request from the User Voice system was migrated to the new Ideas forum here. See my update post here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-ideas/beta-add-speaker-names-and-2-lines-option-to-capti...

There are several that ask for speaker name to be included in the export to a text file. Just search "speaker" in that forum.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was quite happy to go upvote that, Stan.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I just don't get why adobe always misses the most obvious things. Like why even include the multiple speaker option if you can't do anything with it? Same with not being able to rearrange tracks in premiere, or organize files in audition. These are such simple things that I just don't understand how they get overlooked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Warpig,

It's not that details are "missed," it is sometimes that a feature is not possible to function in the way you want it to. I don't know of a NLE where you can "rearrange tracks" for example. You can rearrange tracks in AE, but it's not an NLE and each track contains only a single media file. Multiple speakers might be possible but some other detail about that feature we don't know about may be preventing fully enabling the feature.

We, as users, are not often privy to behind the scenes operations and it is difficult to remain patient and understanding when features come out and they aren't quite what you expect. That said, it is important to provide feedback in the places where the product team can consider your input.

In this case, on User Voice. Devs do lurk here, but they are much more active on that platform. There is also a space for Audition feedback on that site.

Thank You,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could easily rearrange tracks in.... (drumroll please).... VEGAS

You could do little else haha ... but, I mean, drop and drop the tracks, of course you could. Apparently it's not rocket science. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I guess the comment is sortof -- why enable the panel, detect the speakers, and let you rename them -- if then you are to discover that you did that purely for giggles? 

It's not like the help file says "Note: Nothing will be done with this information." 

I would suggest in (i) tooltip as follows: "This feature is just for fun."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi on a related issue, after doing a transcribe with Seperate Speakers turned on, when I go to change the speaker names I am not allowed and I get a small dialogue box saying 'To edit speaker names make changes in the source transcript". I thought I was in the source transcript - am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is an old thread, and you are using the newer version with source media transcription - as you note.

You are in sequence view (because you see that message) but probably seeing the transcription from source media.

Open the Source clip in the Source Monitor, then switch to the Text panel/transcript tab.

This assumes you have the "Follow active monitor" selected in that panel. If not, change it manually.

stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines