• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smudge/haze on camera lens! How to fix it?

New Here ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I hope someone can help me with my problem. I have edited a wedding video but there is a haze/smudge on the bottom left portion on the lens. It is not that strong but it is noticeable.  Does anyone know how I could get this removed? It's not like a dust speck on the sensor, it's that area of the lens wasn't wiped or been touched accidentally therefore causing a haze through the whole video.

I need this resolved asap as the client needs it straight away.  If anyone experienced this and managed to resolve it please do let me know. If there are any tutorials to show me that would be most grateful.

Please see the stills from the camera below. The haze is at the bottom left of the picture covering around 15% over the overall frame. It's quite noticeable when the camera moves also. I am using the latest version of Premiere Pro also.

Many thanks,

KJ

smudge.jpg

master sequence.00_07_05_24.Still004.jpgmaster sequence.00_34_49_12.Still002.jpg

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Put an adjustment layer (File > New > Adjustment Layer) on a video track above the bad clips:

Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 9.31.34 AM.png

Click on the adjustment layer to select it, and switch to the Color workspace. Using the Lumetri controls, adjust the contrast, vibrance and black level controls to try to minimize the effect off the haze. Use the Mask tool, with Mask Feathering, to restrict the color correction to the area where the smudge is.

Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 9.33.53 AM.png

It may take a bit of trial and error in adjusting the Lumetri controls to minimize the haze as

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're hosed, dude.  This is one of those things you can't "fix in post", you have to get it right when you shoot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tissue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps UnSharp Mask and add saturation/contrast - if you can mask result to that area with a soft edge somehow to blend it in. Will never be perfect, but maybe a little better?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol Thank you mate. Note taken for next time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put an adjustment layer (File > New > Adjustment Layer) on a video track above the bad clips:

Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 9.31.34 AM.png

Click on the adjustment layer to select it, and switch to the Color workspace. Using the Lumetri controls, adjust the contrast, vibrance and black level controls to try to minimize the effect off the haze. Use the Mask tool, with Mask Feathering, to restrict the color correction to the area where the smudge is.

Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 9.33.53 AM.png

It may take a bit of trial and error in adjusting the Lumetri controls to minimize the haze as much as possible.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MtD got there first but here is my attempt using a similar technique

One.jpg

Two.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you mate, really appreciate it. I've gonna give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh brilliant, thank you so much! i'm gonna give this a shot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2022 Jan 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Random google search and man, I am so pleased to find this direction. Thank you so Meg the Dog. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines