• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Subtitles timing off upon export (Premiere Pro 14.9 and earlier)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere captions timing does not match with the exported .srt timing. What to do?

Within Premiere, I have created subtitles that sync with my 30fps sequence. Everything syncs up fine within Premiere.

However, when I export the file to .srt, all of the timings change.

Screen-Shot-2020-04-04-at-1.25.23-AM.jpg

The image shows the difference in timestamps for the captions within premiere and in the exported .srt file.

I tried fixing this by changing framerates in Subtitle Edit and by using the Point Sync feature, but to no avail. Any ideas?

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export , How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

The timecode in your second example appears to be different.

The 1,935 corresponds to 01:23 (i.e. 935 milliseconds is 23 frames in 29.97).

When I created the test with your first timings (1:29 and 6:24), the SE source was 1,968 and 6,806. 

So, as I say, are you sure the timings are off when played with your exported video?

You can test this further by burning in the captions and playing back with the srt on/off.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They actually appear to be correct - except that the display of the timecodes in your export is cutting off the end of the milliseconds. Look at the "Source view" in Subtitle Edit. Are they actually out of sync with the video?

SRT files are often written with the frames converted to milliseconds. You'll see in PR that the option for milliseconds vs frames is now greyed out, and you only have the option for milliseconds.

Your 1:29 and 6:24 convert to 1.968 and 6.806

How did you change the framerate in SE? I thought I knew how and couldn't find it doing a recent test.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan,

These are the source views for the exported .srt file. Is there something that I am missing?

00:00:00,000 --> 00:00:01,935

00:00:01,935 --> 00:00:06,773

As for changing the framerate in Subtitle Edit, click Synchronization > Change frame rate, then select the options for input/output frame rate.

If you can give me some guidance as to syncing the exported .srt, I will be eternally grateful.

Cheers,

hellomister

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The timecode in your second example appears to be different.

The 1,935 corresponds to 01:23 (i.e. 935 milliseconds is 23 frames in 29.97).

When I created the test with your first timings (1:29 and 6:24), the SE source was 1,968 and 6,806. 

So, as I say, are you sure the timings are off when played with your exported video?

You can test this further by burning in the captions and playing back with the srt on/off.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You indeed are a life saver. I can't believe I spent six hours trying to figure this out.

Working between Premiere, Subtitle Edit, Aegisub and YouTube got me confused. Thanks again, Stan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent! Glad you got it sorted. Yes, some of my knowledge is also the product of those long, frustrating sojourns into what turns out to be simplicity.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here the same problem, but then on a frame rate of 23,976... 

I am struggling for 24 hours now on a subbed clip of 1 hr 10 mins.

I do not understand what your solution is, Stan. What must I do step-by-step in Premiere to resolve this problem?

I'm getting crazy down here...

Greetings from The Netherlands,

Maurice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and don't understand what the solution is... 😕

I'm working with a 24fps sequence. Exporting the captions as SRT and then attaching them to the video shows them out of sync. However, exporting them burnt in shows them completely in sync.

Would really appreciate a solution and explanation to the SRT issue.

Thanks!

D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Donik,

Thanks for reporting your test of burn in vs srt.

What version of PR?

24fps or 23.976? Any mixed framerates, time changes in the sequence?

What media player or streaming etc.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan,

the Premiere version is 23.1.0 (Build 86). The frame rate is 24fps and the frame rates of all the used footage are 24fps. No time changes in the sequence.

As I am delivering this on Google Drive, I played and tested the exported files with Google Drive. In the case of the SRT captions, I uploaded the file to Google Drive and then uploaded the captions attaching them to the video file on Drive. In the case of the file with the burnt in captions, I uploaded it to Google Drive and played it there to check if the captions were in time.

Thanks for your help!

Donika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Donika,

I don't have a good 24fps sample with dialogue. It needs to be long enough to show the issue.

No problem in a very short 59.94 sample, but that is useless for this purpose. It did get me to try the video and caption on Google drive!

Is yours 23.976, or exact 24?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Stan, it's exactly 24fps.

Best,
D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide a screenshot example of the differences you are seeing.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all!

I'm having a similar issue, I think... Everything times fine in the timeline but I export my .srt from Premiere Pro (2022) and import into my existing Vimeo page for the video and the subs are about 3 seconds early throughout. I've double checked the frame rate on both the Vimeo file and the Premiere file exporting the .srt and they match. Any ideas?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the srt, what is the timecode of the first sub? Is that correct with the start of the spoken word?

> about 3 seconds early throughout

From start to finish, the same?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I’m not sure how to read the .srt. The timeline TC is 00:00:11:16 and the .srt code reads: 00:00:11,678

Thanks

Michael J. Saul
Producer/Director
www.MichaelSaul.com
moonspinnerprod@gmail.com

MESMERICA 360° Fulldome Experience
Returning to Theatres this Summer!
www.jameshood.com/mesmerica360

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That appears correct. The ,678 is milliseconds, so about half a second. So, since the times are correct, caption one should appear on the screen at 11 seconds. If it is 3 seconds early, that would be at 8 seconds? If this start time is okay, look ahead 15 minutes or so and check there.

We're looking to rule out a start time problem, a single edit problem (e.g. the subtitles jump at some point out of sync, and stay out of sync by the same amount), or a problem where the amount of time out of sync gets longer over time.

(When responding by email, be sure to turn off you auto signature. A moderator will probably remove that for you. Look at the end of your post for the "... More" to try to edit it out yourself.)

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines