• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Track targeting broken?

Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might be crazy, but in the latest release if I copy a clip from one sequence to another, the pasted clip shows up on a non-targted track. That is if the clip is on track 1 of the source sequence and the target sequence has track 4 selected as the target, the clip pastes to track 1 instead. It's entirely possible that I'm doing something wrong, but I seem to remember that the clip should paste to the target track regardless of the source track number. Help??? TIA

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

I can't decide whether I should feel stupid, or wait to see if I am missing something.

I knew the Beta had a new set of shortcuts for pasting/track targeting, but I now see this was implemented in 22.5:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/whats-new/2022-5.html#paste-same-track

This does change the DEFAULT behavior.

Because I am using a custom keyboard setup, it did not affect me. I changed to the "Adobe Premiere Pro Default," and voila, I see the same behavior being described.

The

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

They changed the DEFAULT paste result in 22.5:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/whats-new/2022-5.html#paste-same-track

The change adds a keyboard shortcut to paste to the targeted track, but it is unassigned.

Or to go back to the "old" way, just delete the shortcuts in the Panel -> Timeline section of the Keyboard customization: "Paste Insert To Same Track" -> Ctrl+Shift+V and Paste [Overwrite] To Same Track -> Ctrl+V.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one of those things you can opt out of.

The only difference is that they added 4 commands at the Timeline level. And assigned shortcuts to them that are the same as shortcuts at the Application level. So when in the Timeline panel, that shortcut overrides the one at the Application level. I may be wrong about whether they existed before 22.5, but I don't think so. In any event, the shortcuts are what makes the difference in workflow. The shortcuts are:

Before 22.5 and the same after, at the Application level:

Paste -> Ctrl+V
Paste Insert -> Ctrl+Shift+V
Paste Attributes -> Ctrl+Alt+V

Not existing before 22.5 and added, with 2 shortcuts, in the Timeline Panel:

Paste Insert To Same Track -> Ctrl+Shift+V
Paste [Overwrite] To Same Track -> Ctrl+V
Paste Insert To Target Track -> Unassigned
Paste [Overwrite] To Target Track -> Unassigned

So, edit the keyboard shortcuts by deleting the 2 assignments for the timeline panel, save as custom, back to the old way. Or delete those 2, and add different assignments for the "Same Track" options.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks...got it! I actually might try this...for now I have alt-Q as paste to target. My hand likes it more : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very good and helpful post Stan, thanks very much. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2022 Jul 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As someone else pointed out on this thread, you can go into Keyboard shortcuts and set 'paste to target track' as command-V and set 'paste to same track number' as command-shift-V. That should do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the exact same problem since recent upgrade.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They changed the DEFAULT paste result in 22.5:

The change adds a keyboard shortcut to paste to the targeted track, but it is unassigned.

Or to go back to the "old" way, just delete the shortcuts in the Panel -> Timeline section of the Keyboard customization: "Paste Insert To Same Track" -> Ctrl+Shift+V and Paste [Overwrite] To Same Track -> Ctrl+V.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, very helpful - this had me scratching my head when I switched to a fresh computer.

To clarify: Paste To Target Track (which is unassigned by default) seems to be the setting under the Timeline Panel shortcuts which has the old behaviour. My updated shortcuts:

richardh38606576_1-1662639814198.png

How does PP determine which track the "Paste To Same Track" command works on? What does "same" refer to? (Seems arbitrary).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "same" track is the one you copied from.

The "old" method had no options under the timeline. And the shortcuts applied to the application (PR) as a whole. So whether in the timeline or some other panel, you got the paste [overwrite]/paste insert behaviors.

With the options added under the timeline panel, shortcuts there override the shortcuts for application.And to get the paste "to same [track]" behavior, you must use a shortcut: the options in the Edit drop down still only have the paste to target track behavior.

What you have now is (which is what you may want), when in the Timeline Panel, Ctrl+V will paste [overwrite] to the targeted track and Ctrl+Shift+V will paste [overwrite] to the same track you copied from. If you are not in the Timeline Panel, you'll get the "old" shortcut behavior.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like this fix works for copying and pasting.

But what about just normal inserting? Let's say I have a sequence opened up in my source monitor (doing pancake editing). I then have a clip on V2, but I want to insert it on my main timeline to V1. It always goes to V2, no matter what I do.

Anyone have a workaround for this??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@trishd64095122 

So if you have Video Track 1 of the source patched it goes to Video Track 1 of the target, it still goes to Video Track 2?

Might you be confusing the patch with the target?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2023 Jul 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankfully this has started to pop up as the answer to this issue.

So bizzare to change a default behavior of something so integral. Fixed it for myself by adding a shortcut that will paste to same track (alt+v) and then leaving the other ctrl v alone. 

As others have mentioned, using my own keyboard shortcuts, so this seems to have over ridden the shortcut file I was already using. Kind of a jerk move there Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2023 Jul 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But there is no "timeline panel" in version 2023! And no "paste to target track!"!This is really annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2023 Jul 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what you are seeing @noraj88380704 

I see both:

MyerPj_0-1690663789929.png

Give us some clues to work with if you are not just venting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines