• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Track targeting broken?

Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might be crazy, but in the latest release if I copy a clip from one sequence to another, the pasted clip shows up on a non-targted track. That is if the clip is on track 1 of the source sequence and the target sequence has track 4 selected as the target, the clip pastes to track 1 instead. It's entirely possible that I'm doing something wrong, but I seem to remember that the clip should paste to the target track regardless of the source track number. Help??? TIA

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

I can't decide whether I should feel stupid, or wait to see if I am missing something.

I knew the Beta had a new set of shortcuts for pasting/track targeting, but I now see this was implemented in 22.5:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/whats-new/2022-5.html#paste-same-track

This does change the DEFAULT behavior.

Because I am using a custom keyboard setup, it did not affect me. I changed to the "Adobe Premiere Pro Default," and voila, I see the same behavior being described.

The

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

They changed the DEFAULT paste result in 22.5:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/whats-new/2022-5.html#paste-same-track

The change adds a keyboard shortcut to paste to the targeted track, but it is unassigned.

Or to go back to the "old" way, just delete the shortcuts in the Panel -> Timeline section of the Keyboard customization: "Paste Insert To Same Track" -> Ctrl+Shift+V and Paste [Overwrite] To Same Track -> Ctrl+V.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest release as of your posting yesterday is 22.5. I just tested, and it is behaving correctly for me.

Hover over what you are calling track targeting, to be sure you are using the "target" and not the "source patching."

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stan. I am using the target selection, not the source patching. It's a mystery. I may reinstall or reset preferences and see if that solves it. I've been using Premiere since the late 90s, but I'm always open to the possibility that it's user error...lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, user error crops up regularly. But a long shot!

I would also try switching workspace or a revert to saved layout.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like we have a bug. Also the auto color function on Lumetri is broken as well. Color sliders are slow to respond or don;t and 'auto color' button takes 2-3 clicks to work. I edit daily on PP so I have a good feel for how it *should* work : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just recently started happening to me. I click all the different "target" tracks, copy/paste but always writes on the track I have copied from. I have even just reinstalled PP but to no avail, and now the source target on the far left of the timeline have all gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same issue here. No matter what track is targeted the paste hapens on the original clips track number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is only track 4 targeted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me personally, it doesn't matter which track is selected, it always pastes on the track I copied from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens no matter what target track is selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting this. I just did the latest upgrade last night and am having the exact same problem. It's driving me bonkers. Definitely would appreciate if someone has a fix. In the meantime, Adobe please fix this! One can only hope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post that here, where the Adobe engineers read all threads:
https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem for me, thought I was going insane and had done something wrong. Tried many options but nothing seemed to fix the issue. Eventually downgraded to 22.4 and the problem went away. Tried going back to 22.5 to see if the issue was a one off but it returned swiftly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't decide whether I should feel stupid, or wait to see if I am missing something.

I knew the Beta had a new set of shortcuts for pasting/track targeting, but I now see this was implemented in 22.5:

This does change the DEFAULT behavior.

Because I am using a custom keyboard setup, it did not affect me. I changed to the "Adobe Premiere Pro Default," and voila, I see the same behavior being described.

The change adds a keyboard shortcut to paste to the targeted track, but it is unassigned.

I remember thinking, in the Beta testing, that I would like the new behavior. But you can also reassign the shortcuts so it works the old way.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I see now.  The default behavior has changed to paste to the same track it was copied from.  Now it makes sense.  Not sure why it had to be changed, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro is matching the Final Cut Pro classic copy and paste clip behavior.  I think this feature request is something close to 18 years old.  Better late than never.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the behavior of Avid Media Composer, too. But I always considered it a great advantage of Premiere Pro to be able to choose a target track by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me today and I thought it was just me.  I often create titles an then copy and paste them into a target track, usually V3 or V4.  But then I would find the location I wanted with the playhead, hit paste and it would just dump it in the same track that I had copied it from.  Did not used to behave that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here all of a sudden.  It does not matter what target layer is sleceted.  If you copy footage on track 3 or any other.  It will only paste on the same layer.  Even in new projects.  Unless you lock every other layer.  Rediculous. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spartan,

See my  post above, where I discover this is a change in the default behavior for the paste keyboard shortcut:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/track-targeting-broken/m-p/13027276#M418096

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I will try that today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it's a feature not a bug...lol. I don't pay as much attention as I should to release notes as I should it seems. Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this one. I don't like the new copy/paste method, but I'll deal. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree 100%. Maybe some people find this useful but I'm not one of them. LOL!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it just changes my workflow again, but I'll also deal!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines