• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to change or edit speaker names in transcript

Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Premiere Pro 22.6.2 (Build 2). I have Premiere transcribe a sequence and check the box for it to recognize different speakers. All good.

But when I click on the speaker in the transcription window, it does not allow me to change to another speaker. And when I choose to edit the speaker name, the same does not save.

I used to be able to do this and it's a great feature. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a fix?

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , Error or problem , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*And when I choose to edit the speaker name, the name does not save. Sorry about that typo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

Also 22.6.2; Win 10.

I tested a simple transcription, and I am able to change speaker and edit speaker  name. And edits/changes persisted when I closed PR and reopened the project.

At a loss as to what could cause what you are seeing.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this issue on Premiere Pro 22.6.2 (Build 2) on a Mac. 

Go to edit the speakers name, hit save and nothing happens. This only seems to happen every now and again. Sometimes it'll work fine but most of the time, it doesn't. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, Hi Liam,

Sorry. It is super odd that you are having the same issue. I tried a test and could not reproduce the issue. If you have a project exhibiting the issue, you can PM me the project file, and I can have the team take a look.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin, Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce the problem, even on the project where I first encountered the problem. It seems to be working fine right now. The best I can say is that I will report back if it flairs up gain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Kevin!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reproduced this issue. There's a screencast of the issue and a link to the clip I used if you want to reproduce this in this post: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/problem-editing-transcriptions-split-amp-mer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, was happening in 22.6.2 and now in 23.0.0 it's still happening. Occasionally it'll work, but most of the time it doesn't work. Very frustrating. M1 Max OS 12.3.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Stan Jones and @liams15070763 Thanks for the replies. As liams5070763 has reported, it seems like it is periodic and I cannot tell what is causing it. Since reporting the problem, I have closed Premiere and restarted my PC. But I also needed to log out of my Adobe account for another reason. I don't know if any of these actions had an impact, but they are the only things that I have done that might have had an impact on the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Randomly figured this out-- if you go to the three dots in the upper right hand side and choose "export to text" (dont think it matters) and save the export file. If you go back to Premiere the name is updated. This worked for me. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for posting. Yes, there could be something amiss with this feature, a usability bug. I had a little trouble with Kevin's files, too, but once I went to the "three dots" menu (called a "Kabob" menu by my UI peeps), I selected the Edit Speakers dialog box and could switch the name there. Then, I clicked Save. It works.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After using it for a few weeks, the only "fix" I've managed to come up with is to open another sequence then jump back into the sequence with the transcription in it. This seems to reset the Text window. 

So I go to Edit Speaker, change name and save and it doesn't do anything. Open a different sequence, jump back into the sequence with the transcript and then I can Edit Speakers once. Exactly once. I have to do this over and over if I need to continiously edit the speakers name. Huge pain but only solution I have on this at the moment. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opened a different sequence, jump back into the sequence with the transcript and then I can edit speaker and split / merge. It works maybe twice before I have to click back on the second sequence I made and then click back to the sequence I am working on. VERY ANNOYING. But it is working. Thanks liams15070763.

Update: Have been working on a transcription of a court hearing. I can make many split / merge / change speaker / edit speaker in a row unitl (it seems) the I listen to the audio. It seems when I hit play those functions cease working. I then just click on the other sequence in the project and click back to the sequence I am working on and functions are restored. Adobe PLEASE fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the temp fix, I just experienced this problem and came looking here for solutions/fixes and this is working for me as well. I was also only able to edit only one speaker at a time before having to go to another sequence. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also experiencing this issue in 22.6.2 on macOS Monterey 12.5.1. The kebab-menu trick does not seem to be working for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opened a different sequence, jump back into the sequence with the transcript and then I can edit speaker and split / merge. It works maybe twice before I have to click back on the second sequence I made and then click back to the sequence I am working on. VERY ANNOYING. But it is working. Thanks liams15070763.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I havwe this problem too... it's really annoying!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue and nothing seems to resolve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try the technique of ethel edwards above in this thread, that's been working for me, very annoying and not consistent, but at least it gets a result

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, that technique doesn't work for me but I just found that if I move the text window to my other screen it works and will keep working when I move back again (at least for a little while). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue too, and after reading replies here, it seemed to be a dual-screen issue. So I found disabling Playback to a 2nd monitor resolved this issue for me - easy as that for now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction, my issue is not resolved.  Yet another unresolved bug to add to the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SamVideo,

Yes the "resolved" several users are reporting is a workaround that temporarily gets back to the correct function. But only temporarily.

The report that this may be related to monitor status is interesting. I am using a single monitor currently, so that might have something to do with the fact that I cannot replicate the issue.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same bug, couldn't change speaker names. Turns out if the sequence panel loses focus (blue highlight box around it) you can't change the names. You need to click back in the sequence timeline somwhere so the panel is highlighted and then change the name in the text panel.

The problem is, the sequence panel loses focus again when any change is made in any other panel. So you need to go back and highlight the timeline panel EVERY TIME you make a speaker change. This happens to also be true for the 'effect option' panel, which makes moving/scaling anything very, very tedious.

Completely stupid way of handling things obviously and Adobe needs to fix this. If I change any option which is already linked to some element in a sequence, with the name listed at the top and everything, there is no confusion possible as to what parameter you're changing, even though it's coming from a separate panel from the main sequence. The fact that I have to re-focus the correct sequence and/or sequence element for every change is totally redundant and cumbersome.

Adobe seem to have skipped a little piece of code somewhere. Please fix this !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines