Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Vertical video preview

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm shooting vertical video for Reels.  I'm able to view the timeline video in vertical, but not the previews.

I've applied the transform effect/rotation as per this instruction.  But the preview window tries to show me that within a 16:9 frame, so although it's rotated, it's cut off (see image).

Screenshot 2023-03-13 124609.png

How do I properly preview my vertical clips?

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the original is in landschap then that is what you are seeing in the Source Monitor.

Is this clip opened from the Project window or timeline: there is a difference.

if you want to make a vertical movie then you need to shoot vertical.

Some phones will let you rotate before transferring to computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm shooting with a Canon 1DX MKII

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the camera does not shoot real vertical you are stuck in this workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a shame video can be rotated and viewed vertical on the timeline, but not in preview.  I hope Adobe change this, considering how much video is being edited for vertical now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a shame video can be rotated and viewed vertical on the timeline, but not in preview.  I hope Adobe change this, considering how much video is being edited for vertical now.

By @russelljames

Kind of AI. If the camera shoots in 16:9 Premiere need to be able to tell it's a vertical image?

That is why you have the source clip effect which lets you add the Transform effect and rotate the image.

Preview is done by opening the file from the Project window, not the timeline.

Opening from the timeline will give you its exact properties, which looks its all wrong but is not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Premiere doesn't need to be able to tell it's vertical, that's not what I'm saying at all. As I mentioned, tranforming the source clip doesn't allow me to view it as upright (even though I've told it I want to) in the Preview.

I'm fine with the way it displays in the timeline, it displays perfectly there (due to transform). But when I'm previewing clips to put on the timeline I can't see all of it, even by resizing the Preview window.

I'm questioning why Preview can't use the same data as the timeline to display the clip in the way I've specified with Transform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the sources of the clips shot in 16:9 or 9:16?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They're 16:9 because the 1dx mkii don't have an option to upright video 9:16

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*doesn't

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll need to nest your videos in a vertical timeline, and open that timeline in the preview window.

Here's a gif on how to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for taking the time to do this.  It's probably the best workaround at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines