• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video and Audio not linked in timeline

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My video and audio from mov 29.97 fps files are not showing up as linked once I bring into the timeline. I've tried linking, unlinking, grouping, etc. but even when it says they are linked or grouped the audio and video cannot be moved or edited together.

I tried updating my computer, uninstalling and reinstalling the app, and deleting all the files from Media Cache and Media Cache Files folders in Application support. The issue remains the same.

I also opened old projects that did not have this issue before when I worked on them, and the problem is the same now in the old projects. It says they are linked or grouped but they will will not move or be edited together, only separately.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

In the upper left corner of the timeline, toggle the button "Linked Selection" to have Premiere respect the clip link status:

PPro Clip Linking Toggle.png

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the upper left corner of the timeline, toggle the button "Linked Selection" to have Premiere respect the clip link status:

PPro Clip Linking Toggle.png

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. I didn't even know that was an option. Idk how it got turned off. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have mine turned on, but they're still unlinked... I'm at a total loss of what to do as it's even doing it with nested clips!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This stuff would be a lot easier to figure out if Adobe actually used words instead of these stupid little symbols...  Obviously, coded by a geek rather than with the consultance of a producer who does not have all day to keep Googling the issues and problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Symbol and words:

afbeelding.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coders definitely aren't the ones who make these decisions. 100% this is decided by the UX team.... stated by a dev who so often has to implement things he may not agree with  Â¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having this same issue, I must have accidentally unselected this. Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem as the OP, except my "Linked selection" button IS on!

Is this a new bug, or is there some other reason I might be seeing this?  Right now I'm having to duplicate all my edits manually in the video and audio tracks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that a nested clip brought in?

Also ... right-click the clip, and see if the Link/Unlink option is set to Link ... if not, well ... that's an issue there.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2018 Oct 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nested clip - I don't know what that means to be honest!  I'm very new to Premiere.

Right clicking on any of the clips I can only see an Unlink option which is greyed out and not ticked.  Does that help at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2018 Oct 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nesting is where you take a clip or multiple clips that are a sequence, and bring those into another sequence. Or at times, you can do this by having the 'nest or not' button selected in the header block controls ... that's the little blue sequence icon with a slash through it near the left top of your image.

I'm wondering, as green for video/audio is often meaning this is a nested sequence. In nesting, you can have one or more clips that are part of a larger sequence and worked within that sequence as any other clip ... but you can also return to the nested clip/clips and work effect to all together or separately outside of the main sequence they are nested into.

Therefore, to change things like this, you have to "open" the nest. Try double-clicking on the sequence ... and look up 'nesting' in the Help docs.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 20, 2019 Apr 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that the preset of automatically linking the audio and video has changed.  Where can i change it back.  I have very little need for unlinked audio in the work I do.  This is a great annoyance and stoppage issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out the control/header block for your sequence. And right-click check to see if "link" or "unlink" are active.

The normal operation is video that includes audio is linked.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the problem.  The normal operation is not working.  when I add my raw foot to a sequence it is unlinked even though the menu says it is linked and the on the right side of the sequence says it is linked. 

How do I fix the glitch?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So ... both video and audio get to the sequence, but once there, they aren't connected, and you can move one without moving the other?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is correct.  When the raw footage is moved into the sequence it is not linked.  Audio and video function independently.  The menu says they are linked and the Icon says they are linked.  I found an old comment somewhere else for someone that had the same problem in 2018 and the answer was to right click on the track and click on 'link."  which, in fact, linked up the audio and video. 

I am looking to restore the normal state of affairs when raw footage comes into the sequence as linked video and the menu and icon actually reflect what is happening.  How does one go about getting support with a problem like this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you create a new, empty sequence and edit material into it, does the problem occur?

If you create a new, empty project, create a new, empty sequence, does the problem occur?

If so try trashing your preferences:

FAQ: How to reset (trash) preferences in Premiere Pro?

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It continues to be a problem in a new sequence and in a new project. 

I'll try trashing m preferences. thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Resetting the preferences worked.  I have linked tracks in the sequence and the menu and icon reflect reality. 

Bravo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I know the problem; you need to make sure the 'source patching for inserts and overights' / A1 box is blue. Otherwise audio will not want to land in the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not all heroes wear capes 🕺

You my friend, are an absolute legend!!!! 

I've been using the command K shortcut key to make cuts in dialogue videos to speed up workflow. Then for some reason if I highlighted the video file by clicking it so it had a white box around it, then pressed command K, it would make a cut in both video and audio. The play head would continue (leaving the first part of the video file highlighted) and I would then press command K again to make another cut but it would only cut the audio. I had no idea why... until I read this comment. I checked that everything was patched correctly and it was..... but then I noticed that the track targeting was turned off. I turned on the targetting for that track and now it is linked for every cut I make!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude thanks so much for this info!!!!! I've been wasting so much time having to cut my audio and video seperatley and I had no idea how it got changed. 

Thanks!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thannks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines