• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video Cut Short Importing to Premiere Pro - Variable Frame Rate

Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having an issue where a video created in an iPhone app gets cut short when I import it into Premiere Pro. Here is a video that demonstrates the issue:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kq4rlxyp2v5a9ck/PremiereProProb.mov?dl=0

Any input or advice is greatly appreciated. FYI, I am a Premier Pro novice.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest CC 2018 is supposed to handle VFR video correctly, but other versions do not and in that case it is recommended to first convert footage to Constant Frame Rate using an app like HandBrake, then edit that new clip.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response, Jeff. If you watch the video, you'll see that I do that exact thing (convert to constant frame rate in Handbrake), and it makes no difference in this case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, but now I can't get back that 3.5 minutes of my life. I learned nothing that you couldn't have stated in the original post about having already tried Handbrake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for trying to help. I'm sorry if you feel your time was wasted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The clip is cut off as Premiere interpretes the file as 20.45 fps.

Try interprete the clip to normal fps.

I dont thing Jeff meant you wasted his time. His choice of words might sound strange (too me also but then again English is not my native language).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response, Ann. The file converted with Handbrake is interpreted by Premiere as 30 fps. The original file is interpreted as 20.45 fps, but when I try to interpret it as any other frame rate, all it seems to do is speed up or slow down the video, but not recover the missing portion at the end.

It could be I'm not doing this right (again, I know very little about Premiere Pro). I went to Modify>Interpret Footage>Assume this frame rate:, and put in various other numbers for the fps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the correct way for interprete.

I am guessing this file might not be suite for editing, it is not your regular video clip.

What does Mediainfo say about the file before and after converting with Handbrake,

Please post in treeview

MediaInfo Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never used MediaInfo before, but for some reason Tree view is disabled. Here are screenshots of MediaInfo in Text view, before and after Handbrake:

BEFORE:

Screenshot 2018-03-27 13.18.44.png

AFTER:

Screenshot 2018-03-27 13.18.22.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oddly, I'm now noticing that the audio duration is longer than the video duration, which I guess is just a weird property of this video? It looks like Quicktime handles this on playback by playing the full audio length, and holding the video on its last frame. I guess Premiere is handling this by ending the clip at the end of the video, and chopping off the remaining audio as a result.

Still not sure what to do about this, but it looks like I may understand what's happening now at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mediainfo is very good and makes you aware of things happening inside a file.

But on a side not: Have no idea how to fix this. Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to say thanks for this post. My issue was that my video was longer than my audio. This was an issue caused by me in code when creating the video from a compilation of other videos. This happened in moviepy a python module for creating mp4's. My last clip was longer than the voice over causing the truncation when imported.

I was able to fix this by slowing my last clip(this was fine for me but wouldnt work for everyone), however you can simply add another clip of your choice at the end. Im not sure how helpful this is but...You can certainly do the same in python with libraries such as moviepy where you can simple append an empty clip or clip of your choice at the end and then merge your audio file after. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anytime someone says their time has been wasted on a forum that is meant to help people, i just think that's the worst. You are the worst.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read my other 6355 posts before making judgement - we can all have a bad day and perhaps act out of character 😉

I apologize for my words

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those that own up to their mistakes are the best. You're the best. In no way did I intend to offend you with my comment either, just wanted to bring light to the fact that I truly believe these areas should be a safe space for mistakes to be made and information to be learned!

Thank you for your response, I know that is something you did not have to do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump, really need a solve for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just a guess:

Try transcoding with Shutter Encoder instead of Handbrake:

https://www.shutterencoder.com/en/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines