• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where is CAPTURE button on current Premiere Pro v. 22.6.2

Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do a lot of digitizing analog footage off of VHS videotapes to files as well as other older formats for my projects. Can someone tell me where to find the 'CAPTURE' button on the new Premiere Pro v.22.6.2.  I've looked everywhere.  Please help!!  Thank you.

TOPICS
Editing , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 09, 2022 Oct 09, 2022

It is still the same as in the older versions.

Hit F5 and it will open the capture window.

Its also listed under Window.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do realize that you need to have the appropraite hardware to capture video from tape?   The capture command is in the file menu   As far as connecting and enabling the capture device, it's been a while since I've done that, so I'd have to dig into

that.

Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 6.58.06 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2022 Oct 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the help.  Yes, I use a Sony analog to digital converter device for capturing audio and video into Premiere Pro.  I am speaking of the older PP versions of course.  I have been doing this for over 10 years now in PP.  Over 40 years in the film and video business.  Early days we used  multiple Betacam SP machines back when we did linear editing.  Anyway, I do appreciate your help and will try this when I get back in my studio on Monday.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2022 Oct 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is still the same as in the older versions.

Hit F5 and it will open the capture window.

Its also listed under Window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2022 Oct 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reverted back to build 22.0. No Capture under file, no Capture under window, F5 does nothing. On a Mac.  This answer is no longer valid and should be removed and replaced with the correct answer which is Adobe removed this function with no explanation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are talking about capturing DV or HDV, unfortunately, Adobe removed DV/HDV capture from the macOS version of Premiere Pro several versions ago. The explanation is in the Adobe help document linked below:

Changes to GPU and DV/HDV support in Premiere Pro and Adobe Media Encoder on macOS

If this is what you are running into, going back to version 22 isn’t far enough. The Adobe document says:

Starting with macOS 10.15 Catalina, Premiere Pro no longer supports DV and HDV capture over FireWire…On macOS you can use Premiere Pro 12.x and 13.x on macOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra) or 10.14 (Mojave)

I am sympathetic, because I am a Mac Premiere Pro user who shot DV tapes. The only reason it doesn’t bother me more is that I finished digitizing all my DV tapes some years ago. If I had to digitize more DV tapes on my Mac, I would see if Apple still supports DV capture in the current version of iMovie. Also, Apple QuickTime Player can capture video from a range of sources, but I haven’t tried if the current version still supports DV/HDV. One reason for the doubt is that DV capture was through FireWire, and I don’t know how well FireWire is supported on macOS 11 and later, or on Apple Silicon Macs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can get a firewire to thunderbolt 2 adapter and a thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter and I think that will work...  Not simple, but doable I think.  Had a whole bunch of tapes to capture about a year or 2 ago and I did get it to work...  I was using a 2019 intel macbookpro.  Don't know if it will work with apple silicon but worth a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines