• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Premiere change transparent png to black?

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've made a png from a Photoshop file, and the icon on the desktop is transparent, as it should be.  When I use media browser, or File>Import, the transparent background goes away and goes to black.  I've done this before with success, as have other colleagues.  But now it no longer works.

I'm on Mac OS 10.12.5, Premiere CC2017 V2017.1.2.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

I wouldn't worry about how it looks during import.  Add it to a sequence and put something underneath.  If it works there, you're good.  If it doesn't, report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Load the .png file to the source monitor, click on the wrench at the lower right corner of th monitor and make sure the source monitor set to display transparency grid, does it work correctly there?

Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 12.45.34 PM.png

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't worry about how it looks during import.  Add it to a sequence and put something underneath.  If it works there, you're good.  If it doesn't, report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This post is ancient, but I had the same thing up until a month ago: importing pngs made the entire preview black, couldn't edit the clips and couldn't render despite changing almost every setting I could find, installing codecs, etc.

Update and/or reset your BIOS
I don't know why, but I got a new processor, updated and reset my BIOS and it just randomly started working. It definitely wasn't the processor because I went back to my old one afterwards and it still worked just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines