Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is Mini DV capturing at 787 x 576

Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone

So I can't find anyone else having this problem never mind an answer to solve it.

I'm capturing a lot of mini dv tapes to CS5 Premier. I bought myself a 2012 imac running the appropriate OS (10.6.8). Mostly, everything has been stable and a pleasure to work through (about 180 hours so far) but occasionally it captures at 787 x 576 instead of 720 x 576.  With no obvious cause.

I could capture 5 tapes in row, all shot on the same day, same camera, 4 will capture fine and one will be wrong.  I'll go back and capture the tape again and sometimes it will be fine, others I'll have to try repeatedly or capture in several sections.  

I realise I could just convert the aspect ratio in Premier and export it but I'd rather it just worked properly if possible.  Any ideas?

I've been working around it for a while now but I'm interested in what could be causing it.

Thanks for your time 

Ben

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It means the capture is not seeing the aspect ratio flag.

It should read 788 instead of 787 but guessing nothing to worry about it will edit just fine.

You can interpret the file in the Project window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

Thanks very much for your reply.

Weirdly, it won't let me interpret it in the project window. But I'm thinking I'll just carry on with the capturing and fix all the problem ones after in a batch through media encoder. Rather than wasting hours re-capturing over and over until it comes through right.

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines