• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is .mkv no longer supported, please?

Guide ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone please explain to me why I can happily import an MKV file into version 12.1.2 (Kentos) using Windows 7, yet the exact same file on import into the latest version 22.0 tells me that it is an 'unsupported compression type'?

I cannot even use the older version as an interim version because it contains a 5.1 audio stream, and despite having bought & paid for the SurCode Dolby Digital Encoder for Premiere Pro, I get informed that the 'Dolby Decoder' is not supported and I must 'upgrade' to Windows 8,.1 or later & install a Microsoft 'Media Feature' pack.

Missing Dobly Decoder.JPG

So what am I supposed to do here please?

Transcode the video using Windows 7 and the old version of PPro and then re-import that into the later version on Windows 10? That is a lot of faffing about simply because someone in Adobe Towers unilaterally decided that for some reason best known to them only I cannot import a perfectly normal MKV file any longer that imports perfectly happily to the older version.

Windows 7:

W7 importing MKV.JPG

As you can see there is no problem - even the 5.1 audio file imports as video only (which is not good) but when I try on Windows 10 in the latest version:

Windows 10 fail.PNG

Why?

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can vote here to restore MKV support:
https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/38135902-restore-mkv-format...

Also, there is a paid plugin that enables Ae and Pr to support MKV (and several other unsupported formats):
https://aescripts.com/influx/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Easily convert with VLC Player  
  • A lightening fast way is to use ffmpeg in Ubuntu or Mac terminal:
    • ffmpeg -i TheVideo.mkv -codec copy TheVideo.mp4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 03, 2024 Apr 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Robert21995117pkzv - why would I want to take an MKV file and make it into an MP4 please?

Adobe need to get MKV support reinstated. 3/4 of my archived projects have assets in MKV

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2024 Apr 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I use a nice Netflix-approved camera; MKV isn't an option nor a necessity for my projects. However, I surely hope that Adobe can accommodate your simple request. Best of luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines