• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is my search bar grayed out and unusable?

New Here ,
Oct 03, 2014 Oct 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, I was just wondering why is my Search box in Premiere Pro CS6 grayed out and unusable? I have about 500 assets and sequences and it is a pain to look for things with the search box grayed out like that. Please help Thank you! I am running it on Windows 7 64-bit.

Why is it greyed out.png

TOPICS
How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 04, 2014 Oct 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because items are still indexing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't seem to finish indexing though. Like it just stops there. I tried re-opening it and it's still the same D:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 was before my time on Premiere Pro, so I don't know if it had a bug that caused indexing to stall. I don't recall reports of any such issue in 7.x or 2014.

Perhaps something in this thread will help: Re: Why doesn't my Filter Content Bin search work in my Projects Panel?

Beyond that, the only suggestion that comes to mind is to clear your cache files so that Premiere recreates them all from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to try the cache files thing. The discussion you provided did not really provide me with any useful info 😕 but thanks though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cleaning the "unused files" in the media cache solved this problem.  Go to "Adobe Preferences" and select "Media Cache..."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, wait for the project to finish Indexing as stated by others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Man, this is gonna be forever then...

Can you guys make a code to have it bypass the auto-indexing IF it's indexing so we can use it if we are manually indexing? Give us the option to auto-index and not auto-index with one click of a bouton. We really, really need to use the search, we have tons and tons of footage.

Why should I manually index when I can't even use search. I love you Adobe but you're making me sad...

ece.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great. But what about for a project I've been working on for the last month?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also just got this problem with the April 2018 update (12.1.0)

Tried manually deleting the cache and re-opening the project, no luck.

I'm on Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too!  Windows 10.  Search bar unusable.  Premiere Pro CC, current.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue as of the latest update.  This question should not be marked as answered or, perhaps, we need another new question.

I have tried all of the suggested solutions, including manually deleting cache files, to no effect.

Just to clarify: In order to test the issue I created a new project, then a new bin, then a handful of images just to have something to search for. 

SearchBarNotWorking.PNG

Adobe Premiere Pro v12.0, Kentos

Windows 10 Pro

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X

32 GB RAM

NVIDIA GTX 970 - Driver Version: 23.21.13.9135

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look here, I accidentally clicked on "close all projects" and when I reopened the project the search bar was usable.

I did this every time the search bar was grey and it always became usable after closing and reopening the project (not Premiere).

Try this and tell me if it changes something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was excited to give this a try, but alas, the problem remains.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"close all projects" and reopening my project worked for me.

Since the new April update each time I re-open premiere the search bar doesn't work so I delete all cache, sometimes that does not work. But today this "close all projects" and not closing Premiere worked... ^^^ thanks @valeriom73531401

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Close all projects didn't work for me unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mine got "fixed" by doing that. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Close All Projects" didn't work for me originally, it does now it with the latest update available for me on April 19th v12.1.1

superboychao​ I closed and re-opened and it's still fixed. Fingers crossed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, I just ran the update and still no search bar for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"close all projects" and reopening my project worked for me.

This worked for me too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me too. Getting pretty tired of these funny little bugs though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I continue to have this issue as I work on projects. There doesn't seem to be any one method that fixes it each time. Yesterday I simply re-pointed the media cache and media cache database and without even closing the project or Premiere the search too became available again. Frustrating. This really needs to be addressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks bud, this workaround definitely helps. I got sick of this search option in the new updated PP 2018.

Thanks again for sharing this tip.

BTW ADOBE, "thank you" for that quick reply "it's still indexing"...that's hell of support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 02, 2018 Oct 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yus! Close All Projects seems to be the magic solution. Thankyou

Bug must have been introduced at the same time as the multiple projects open in premiere feature

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines