• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wrong timecodes when exporting SRT files (+36 sec.)

Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

Am I the only one struggling with exporting SRT files with the wrong timecodes since Premiere Pro 2022 was released?

For example, on my timeline (starts at 10:00:00:00) the first caption arrives at 10:00:02:05 and when exporting this as an SRT file, the first caption arrives at 10:00:38,210 (PrPro added +36 sec to the timecodes). When I'm exporting the captions as a text file (.txt) I can see the right timecode. So, what's going on with the SRT output?

Here's a screenshot of the exported files (.srt vs .txt):

Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 9.57.15 AM.png

My version of Premiere Pro:

2.2.0 (Build 128)

My computer:

MacBook Pro (Apple M1 Max)

Memory 64 GB

macOS Monterey

version 12.1

Thank you in advance.

Best

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , Error or problem , Export , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Still very odd. I don't recall anyone else (still) reporting this particular issue.

I did not ask before (and it should not matter, but....), how do you get the 10 hour offset? Sequence -> Start time, or what?

Did you use the simple sequence test I described before? Have you tried this without the offset?

@Kartika Rawat @Trent Happel Any thoughts?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't replicate on my end.

What frame rate are you using? What happens if you select everything and copy/paste into a new sequence? Do they export with the offset?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

The project is at 23,976 fps. And yes, I've tried to copy and paste into a new sequence but the problem is still there when exporting the SRT files. Though, the TXT files always seem to respect the timecodes from the sequences.

Thanks for your reply,

Best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were the captions transcribed or created manually?

Is there only 1 subtitle track? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

They were created manually (from a .txt file that I've received with subtitles and timecodes).

There's only 1 subtitle track.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A screenshot of the text panel, timeline, and program monitor might help.

How are you getting a .txt file into PR? When I tested this, it showed .txt as an allowed filetype, but would not actually allow importing it.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan,

Here's a screenshot of the project:

Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 8.45.52 AM.png

I am not importing the .txt into PrPro. I received the captions as a Word document. I am putting these manually into the project with the Text panel (Captions > Create new caption track > Format: Subtitle).

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

I still cannot see anything that would account for this oddity. And I don't recall anyone reporting such an offset. There have been reports of other timecode issues, but those looked like framerate (the offset changed over time, and was very small at the beginning). And why would the text export be correct? There would have to be some kind of logic applied in the srt generation that would change its timecodes.

Quickest fix if this is really is a consistent 36 second offset: use Subtitle Edit or similar to adjust.

Alternative: use a different method to create the subtitles. For example, even though it is not exactly the same, see this re using Word files:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/how-to-import-caption-txt-file-in-premiere-p...

More testing: Create a simple sequence with just the main video. Create a few captions. Export.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan,

Thank you very much.

Have a good one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

It's been awhile and after a couple of updated Premiere Pro versions, I still have the same bug. Every time I export an SRT file from my sequence there's a gap of +36 seconds in the timestams.

I've tried to import subtitles from an SRT file, create them myself and use the automatic transcription. No matter what, they still output with a wrong timecode.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Img. Left (Premiere Pro sequence). Right (exported SRT file)

Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 8.36.09 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still very odd. I don't recall anyone else (still) reporting this particular issue.

I did not ask before (and it should not matter, but....), how do you get the 10 hour offset? Sequence -> Start time, or what?

Did you use the simple sequence test I described before? Have you tried this without the offset?

@Kartika Rawat @Trent Happel Any thoughts?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan,

Yes, I go through Sequence -> Start Time -> 10:00:00:00.

I guess I'll have to try to leave the sequence start at 00:00:00:00 and make an output.

I'll do this test tomorrow and I'll let you know what's coming out of it.

Thank you again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan,

You've nailed it! I've create a new sequence (00:00:00:00) without changing manually the start timecode.

I've copied and pasted the content from my other sequence (10:00:00:00). The exported SRT file doesn't have the +36sec gap!

Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 9.56.59 AM.png

It'd be interesting trying to recreate this bug on your end to see if it's an isolated case or if other people may struggle with it in the future.

Thank you again.

All the best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'll give it a test. Thanks for reporting back.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 23, 2023 Jul 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue, too.  Yesterday Premiere generated the correct timecodes but today it is off by about :05.  Very frustrating.  Will try duplicating sequence & see if it gets resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 08, 2023 Aug 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing it too, although my gap is around :04 seconds.  

Any solutions out there?  It is so strange when certain bugs only affect some users and not others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2023 Aug 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anthony, Did you check if your timecode on the sequence starts at 00:00:00:00? That was my problem, all of my sequences used to start at 10 O'clock (10:00:00:00) but when I came back at 00:00:00:00 now the .srt exports are fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@zecarpio,

lol. I'd feel worse that I never did the test we discussed 11/3/22, but then I see that we had an earlier lull from 2/16/22! I'll still give us high marks for persistence.

In any event, I tested in PR Beta 24.1.0.2 and have now confirmed your finding that setting a start time results in an SRT export that is offset later by some amount. In my case, I set a start time of 10 hours, and the offset is about 25 seconds in a test clip that is 3:45 in duration. The first caption shows a start time in PR of 10:00:01:06, and the SRT export shows it at 10:00:26,976.

I plan to file a bug report in the Beta bug forum.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can confirm this issue with Premiere Pro 2022 on my box.

I did some math and it's mutiplying the correct numbers by 1001/1000 based on absolute frame number. That number might look familiat to video engineers.

I don't know if this is related to a setting somewhere, or why some people would have the problem and some wouldn't...

This is also happening with 2023 on my system.

Mac Pro Tower

3.2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W

AMD Radeon PRO W6800X Duo 32 GB

192 GB 2933 MHz DDR4

OSX ver 13.3.1 (a) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines