• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audio Track Selection for Source Media Transcription

Community Expert ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit 10/30/23: Update on Multichannel Audio Transcription Support. PR Release version 24.0.0 added transcription of multiple audio channels for source media, but only for mono. Stereo has been added in the Beta version, and is in active development.

Auto-transcription still looks only at audio track one.

If PR recognizes the file as having multiple channels, it adds "Channel Selection" to the options in the "Create Transcription for Source Media" dialogue. If it does not see multiple channels, you do not see that option.

Some MXF files with multiple mono channels are not yet working correctly.

See these posts from staff:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-beta-bugs/text-based-editing-doesn-t-work-with-multiple-...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-ideas/audio-track-selection-for-source-media-transcripti...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-ideas/audio-track-selection-for-source-media-transcripti...

Original Post: Text-Based Editing/Source Media Transcription as rolled out in Releaase 23.4.0 does not allow for the selection of which audio track to transcribe, but transcribes only track 1. From forum posts, users often appear to have multiple audio tracks per file, including microphone, camera(s), sound board input, etc. The workarounds quickly become onerous.

I recognize the difficulty, which is encountered when using nesting workaround. Instead of one transcription per clip, you must have multiple transcriptions per clip. In my experiments, the audio track picked currently for transcription is not changed by mapping audio channels etc. So any method using multiple audio tracks/transcriptions would need to name them in a way that the user could understand and track.

Workarounds:

1. Modify the source file so the desired clip is audio track 1.
  2. Place the clip in a sequence, create a static transcription (which allows audio track selection), and then nest that sequence. That nested sequence carries the transcription and behaves like a source transcription.
  3. Select the multitrack file in the Project Panel and Clip -> Audio Options -> Extract Audio. This creates as many files as there are audio tracks, named [Filename] + Extracted.wav, [Filename] + Extracted_1.wav, etc. Note that the numbers are in revers order to the audio tracks in a sequence. For example, if there are 2 audio tracks, the file named ...Extracted_1.wav will be audio track one and the file named without the _1 will be track two.

Note that anytime transcribed clips are on different tracks in a timeline, the higher-ranking track (e.g. audio track 1 is higher than audio track 2) will be active.

If you are upvoting this idea, be sure to click the numbering box in the upper left of the thread, not just individual posts.

Stan

Idea No status
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Graphics

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
74 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using a multi channel mono file? Or a stereo file? Could you please share a screenshot of the dialogue you're seeing?

Thanks,

Kerstin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kerstin Ebert,

Build 37 fixed the new issues in Build 35, so I am back in business.

Filler words now show. It is possible I did not have a current transcription when I was testing. And short transcriptions may not have any filler words.

I was confused about filler words. I mis-read Teresa's post to say you could select filler words transcribing. And I was expecting a filler word section in the transcription dialogue. I'm clear on that now.

Multi-channel transcription option shows for a multichannel sample. It did not before for one file I tried in Build 32. It does not show for a regular stereo file.

A 4 mono channel audio-only file appears to work but only transcribes channel 1 no matter which channel is selected ("Captain Imad" lol). It does this whether picking it from the Project Panel -> Right-click Transcribe, or opening in the Source Monitor, and Text Panel/transcribe.

Dragging it to the New icon creates a four track mono sequence. Doing a static transcript and selecting various channels creates the correct channel for the transcript.

Re-transcribing multichannel audio source overwrites the previous transcription. I'm sure users are going to want to keep multiple transcriptions. For example, one of the workflows described was a file with 4 channels, ambient, lav on speaker 1, lav on speaker 2, and interviewer, etc.

Keep up the good work! Kudos to the team.

Stan

Edited to clarify that my comment about retranscription applied to the multichannel audio source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RSVMedia_0-1696006783767.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RSVMedia_0-1696006825961.pngRSVMedia_1-1696006854863.pngRSVMedia_2-1696006942324.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I posted my screenshots as a reply to Kerstin Ebert's message, but maybe I replied in the wrong place. Posted 3 screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to Build 35 on iMac M1.  When trying to transcribe an AVC Intra 50 file with 8 tracks of 24bit audio I get an error: TypeError: l.getClipCount is not a function

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Gerald21842482fek3, This was a problem in build 35 that is fixed in build 37.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Build 35 is the latest available on Mac.

Doesn't really matter anyway.  Transcribing a single track doesn't solve the issue.  What's really weird is that when you transcribe a multichannel source, Premiere analyzes all of the audio tracks. It then ignores everything but the first one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Elements Headshots,

Your posts are fine. What helps the most is a screenshot that shows the timeline, text panel, and project panel together, like your first screenshot.

FYI, if you add an untranscribed source file to a sequence, it shows "[clip] is untranscribed" and gives a "transcribe" button. If you use that button, it does not open the "Create transcript for source media" dialogue, and you don't get the option to select an audio channel. Even though it is not what is set as "auto-transcription," it fits that exception to setting an audio channel.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Gerald21842482fek3,

Ah. I suspect it will drop soon.

What do you get when you transcribe a sequence as a static transcript and select channel 2 or higher?

I found in build 37 on PC, that the new process allows specifying channel 2 etc for a source media, but actually only transcribed channel 1. I'm sure this will get fixed.

I'm curious about the processing all channels observation. What are you seeing?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't had any issues with static transcripts in sequences but I have only used the mix down option.

A typical use case for us is an interview shot on XDCAM (8 channel) with guest on CH1, host on CH2, maybe camera mic on 3,4 whatever.  A "fix" that allows you to choose audio 1 OR 2 is not a solution for us.  The workarounds are serviceable but hopefully a source mix down option is in the works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The option that I now have a look at allows the same thing you have in sequence transcription for identifying one track or mix, but looking at channels in the source file.

I'm sure that what you want is for it to allow choosing multiple, discrete channels to produce multiple transcriptions, correct?

Also, what I see is that, if you re-transcribe, it replaces the previous transcription.

Let's see what the plan is.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just installed new beta and this is what i get when i hit transcribe. MacStudio Ultra M1, 128GB, 13.5.2

Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 2.32.19 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2023 Sep 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kerstin Ebert,

Update to my post on Build 37; now on Build 38.

As on Build 37, the multi-channel transcription option shows for a multichannel sample, and does not for a regular stereo file.

The 4 mono-channel audio-only file is now transcribing correctly: selecting Channel 2 results in Channel 2 transcript.

I tested creating a duplicate of the file in PR. It has the initial transcript I created (Channel 2), and, as expected, shows "Re-Transcibe" as the option. But when I transcribe it to Channel 3, they each keep their respective transcripts. That's good!

I then tested doing Clip -> Audio Options -> Breakout to Mono. This creates 4 clips named [Original name with extension] + Channel + Channel number, for example, 4ch-mono Adobe.mov Channel 1. They all inherit the transcript associated with the original file. And if you use "Re-Transcribe" they do not prompt for the channel, because they are no longer multichannel clips. So all 4 can be selected in the Project Panel and Re-Transcribed in one go. And each of the 4 has its correct transcript.

I thought because they did not prompt for multichannel transcription that they had lost their channel information. But in Modify -> Audio Channels, each clip has its original channel.

I'm now imagining the transcription dialogue with the ability to select which channels I want to be transcribed (more than one), and it creates the breakout with its transcript.

The real challenge for this workflow is how to work with multiple overlapping transcripts in a timeline. There, I'm imagining some way to show/hide overlapping info.

Filler words - working correctly I think, as in Build 37. There was a short delay (3 or 4 second) in display of the filler highlighting after the transcript populated the text panel. This was the first time I had the filter set to Filler before opening it. Only a 2 1/2 minute video, so not that long.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2023 Sep 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Xzault,

See my post above to @Gerald21842482fek3. This was a problem in build 35 that was fixed in build 37. But I'm on PC, and an update for Mac had not dropped then. Build 38 was available on PC this morning, so I hope a fix is there for Macs also.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2023 Oct 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest build and still no audio transcription, it does let me choose channels now, but i get nothing, upsetting. i tried in Davinci and it works there, so my file is not the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2023 Oct 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Xzault,

Let's see what @Kerstin Ebert suggests. In the meantime, it might help to see a screenshot of selecting the clip in the Project Panel and then Right-click -> Modify -> Audio Channels.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same.  Updated to Build 38 this morning on my M1 iMac.  I now get an option to pick an audio track for source transcription, including mixdown (nice), but it doesn't acutally work.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the requested Screenshot, it still does not find the audio, with the latest build as of today. Adobe Beta 01.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the audio channels screenshot. I think that is what you are looking for. Let's see when staff check back in.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now on Build 41. There is no change to the information I posted on Build 39.

As I said then, "The real challenge for this workflow is how to work with multiple overlapping transcripts in a timeline. There, I'm imagining some way to show/hide overlapping info."

All of the following tests are "as expected," based on what I've seen so far and earlier behavior with overlapping audio tracks.

I transcribed the 4-channel audio only .mov file selecting Channel 1. I then applied breakout to mono, selected only channels 2-4, and transcribed. All 4 breakouts have the correct transcript. If I retranscribe the original 4 audio file, it changes, but the Mono Breakout Channel 1 keeps its Channel 1 transcript.

I created a sequence with the Channel 1 mono breakout, then added the other 3 in order, so Track 1 is Channel 1, Track 2 is Channel 2, etc. As expected, only the Track 1 transcript shows in the Text panel. If Track 1 is muted, Track 2 shows, etc. Note that Solo does not have this effect. The only way to show Track 4 transcript is to mute Tracks 1-3.

Note that if one of the audio tracks was not transcribed, and the Transcript View Options has "Untranscribed sources" turned on, the Text tab will show a Transcribe option at the top and in the transcript area, a timecode range and "Source has not been transcribed." If "Untranscribed sources" is off, neither message shows. Whether "Untranscribed sources" is on or off, the text panel shows only information about the "active" track, and nothing about the presence of other track transcriptions.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, here are some updates from the team:

Currently we allow multi-channel selection for mono files that have multiple channels, it doesn't work for stereo files. We continue working on this feature and want to hear  about the feature requests you have.

As of now we can only attach the transcript of one channel (or the mixdown) to a clip, so a source clip can't contain multiple transcripts. And speaking of multiple transcripts, potentially overlapping, we currently handle it this way: when you have multple transcripts of multiple clips stacked on multiple A/V tracks, we only show the transcript of the highest ranking audio track (usually A1). You'd have to mute the higher audio track if you want to see the transcript on the lower audio track.

@Xzault , @Gerald21842482fek3 I want to find out why you're not gettign the correct transcription. Are you using multi-channel mono files? Do you see this dialogue with the channel selection drop-down menu?

Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-04 um 12.06.13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, i see the dialog box with the audio selection choices, i have selected everyone of them and get no audio transcription, after transcribing, it says no dialog. i did notice the project settings say 32bit ausio when my source file is 24 bit 48k, i have no idea if that has anything to do with it. i only have 4 channels of recorded audio, even though it says 8, and technically i have nothing on channel 1, channel 1 has no audio,  channel 2 has the recodred lav, then channel 3&4 are the FX6 audio from the handles stereo mic so it should be stereo.  as you can see it is attempting to scan and transcribe, but it just doesnt seem to reconize. i just updated to the latest beta right now before takng these screenshots Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 11.23.48 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-10-04 at 11.23.32 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-10-04 at 11.23.19 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-10-04 at 11.23.16 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-10-04 at 11.23.08 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-10-04 at 11.22.50 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-10-04 at 11.22.28 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my audio might technically be multi channel stereo, but i only recorded one lav on channel 2, and then the audio from the built in mic on 3-4. are you saying transccription wont work on stereo audio files ? maybe thats the pproblem, although that doesnt make any sense to me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Xzault,

we just put some improvements into multi-channel transcription so I recommend that you try out tomorrow's Beta build (24.1.0x45 or newer). If you're still not getting the correct transcription result, it would be helpful if you could semd me your audio file so I can try it on my end, this should help with the investigation.

Thanks,

Kerstin

Votes

Translate

Translate