• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Better Proxy Relinking

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many times i have had to manually relink proxies.

Premiere needs better file recognition to be able to relink proxies encoded externally or internally. understanding _Proxy endings an din general relink proxies automatically, more often.
Idea No status
TOPICS
Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
29 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so furious with Premiere right now....I have wasted days trying to make the new versions - 2018 media encoder and Premiere to work....I had to down install AME to an earlier version so it would stop crashing and now my problem is premiere will not attach my proxy files that I spend days creating.....you guys at Adobe should stop releasing inferior software versions.....I am so ready to move on to another platform at this point.....******* fix these apps now!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very dissapointing. Automatically batch re-connecting Proxies in cc 2018 is a nightmare. Lost two days of troubleshooting. Worthless

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Proxies regularly (though quite randomly it seems) unattach themselves in Premiere Pro. This is inspite the fact that the Project Browser might display them as "attached". I have the file name burned into the image of my proxies so it's quite clear to tell when PP is not using the proxies. Relinking is a nightmare, it doesn't really work

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has happened twice to me when transferring projects to different drives. The project asks to relink proxies every time it opens but it never actually does, and trying to relink manually doesn’t work either. This time it’s on a 4-camera 4K multicam project. Gave it to an AE to pull selects but I’m starting to believe the time saved is being wasted waiting for my sequence to start playback now. Infuriating bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issues as Aaron. Proxy files not linking correctly. Metadata says they are attached and Proxy link button active, but proxies don't connect. Please help! Just upgraded to 13.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a continual problem. In proxy workflows we VERY frequently want to be able to move the proxies to other drives to edit while the master files and primary drive is offline. But if proxies are located anywhere other than the exact file structure they were placed in through creation by Premiere, it seems never to remember their file path (even after manual relinking). Combined with no way to disconnect proxies and then reconnect them, this is a critical flaw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Proxies made from premiere pro won't relink as Premiere Pro says they don't have the same audio channels. I made the proxies through premiere pro?! So no clue how they could produce this error?! The proxy/high res media link was working fine until I wasn't using the hard drive where all my high res media is - now it won't reconnect!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere pro 2018 is not playing back the proxy files when attached. Either manually, or thru media encoder. Useless feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PP2018CC. Proxies won't relink. "The selected file cannot be linked because it has 2 audio channel(s) and the clip was created with 0 audio channels with a different channel type." But I used the normal proxy workflow, choosing one of the built in proxy types and letting Premiere call AME to create the files. I transferred the proxy files to a different drive to work at home; this has never been a problem in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem! The only way around it was to link each file manually. At the end, i reconnected the same way to the high res, handed off the project, and when it was next reopened, the files were somehow STILL low res even though the proxy files had been deleted! - how is this even possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want the ability to use proxies with different file extensions. Like editing with .mp4's and relinking to .mov's. The "Link Media" window doesn't work in this regard, even when unchecking "File Extension".

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Mike R mentions below I keep getting this dialogue box when trying to relink: "The selected file cannot be linked because it has 2 audio channel(s) and the clip was created with 0 audio channels with a different channel type."
I copied all my footage inc. proxies to a second drive so two editors can work on the same project and it’s scuppered the workflow.
V frustrating as it takes ages to make the proxies in the first place

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A different point of view might see Kyle's 'fix' as a long-winded manual workaround to a glaring workflow design issue.

I'd argue that the fix is for Adobe to add reliable 'Match Source' options for audio in the encoding presets (just like it already has for video) and allow their use for ingest presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue too. I created the proxies as I went, for a massive project I've been filming. Now I've come to edit it, none of the proxies will attach. It's a HUGE project and I don't really want to have to reacttach every clips to it's proxy file.

Adobe you need to fix this please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why on earth does the proxy workflow not allow for the VERY common scenario of an editor being provided footage/proxies over which they have no control? Audio channels should have no bearing on whether a clip can attach to a proxy file, and it would be nearly impossible to get every single shooter to use the exact same parameters on their audio. Similarly: there should absolutely be an option for batch linking proxy files generated outside of Premiere/Media Encoder. Linking each proxy clip one by one is incredibly time-consuming and frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This error comes up when I open a project. "The selected file cannot be linked because it has 2 audio channel(s) and the clip was created with 1 audio channel(s) with a different audio type." I can relink link these clips without problems from the bin. So why is premiere unable to do this when opening the project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a joke? You can't relink proxies? How incredibly useless.
Adobe strikes again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, pathetic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed!!!

I made some proxies in premiere, moved the project to another computer and now they won't relink citing audio channel differences... these are Proxy files that Premiere made so i assumed it would work right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the love of all things good and holy, THIS. Please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Guys,

I found the fix. When you look at the metadata in Premiere, it will say what kind of audio the video file is using, how much the bit rate is, and how many channels there are. You will need to specify this in the encoding preset you create in AME.

As you can see in the screenshot of my clip's metadata, my clip has 4 mono channels with a 24-bit rate. Take this data and input it into the encoding preset settings.

Then you know the drill: create ingest preset, import into premiere, create proxies..
Hope this works for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone! Kyle Kosaki's comment is the actual fix! Look down to his comment and there are two photos that show where to find your original file's Audio Info and the Media Encoder Preset Settings Audio Tab.

In your project bin, it is found in the metadata listed as Audio Info. If you don't see that in your bin, go to your Metadata Display settings and add Audio Info there and then take a look. Your media encoder preset and/or ingest settings have to have the same number of audio tracks and type, as well as same frequency and bitrate. So if your preset says 1 Stereo track, 16 bit and your footage has 2 Mono tracks at 24 bit, before making your proxies, change the audio tab in your Media Encoder preset to reflect the exact frequency, bitrate and number of tracks and TYPE of tracks to your original footage. If you've already created your proxies and created Merged Clips, not all is lost! Recreate your proxies from the RAW, or original files, then reopen your Premiere Project. When you receive the Locate dialog for your Merged Clips, find the new proxies you just created and it should be able to relink them to the Merged Clips. I just tried this and it worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Benjamin Morgan and Kyle Kosaki’s comments for the workaround. It would be great if there could be a “base ingest preset on source audio channels” checkbox, but as of now there isn’t, so you have to do it manually before making your proxies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If proxies were working last time I opened Premiere Pro, and nothing has changed or moved, why do I now need to manually link them one by one?

PLEASE FIX THIS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having major issues with my projects as well. WORKS FINE when I set it up, using the Premiere Proxies workflow. As soon as I copy this all to a new harddrive for another editor, DISASTER. MEDIA OFFLINE. The proxies cannot connect, due to different audio channels, BUT PREMIERE CREATED THOSE PROXIES USING ITS OWN PROCESS and it WORKED BEFORE.

WTF IS GOING ON?

Votes

Translate

Translate