Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FEATURE REQUEST - Align captions or copy and paste attributes

Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2023 Sep 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm working on subtitles and CCSL and CDSL generation for a feature film I'm working on.  I have noticed however an issue that means I manually have to check timing of caption in and out points.

Reproduction Steps:

1. Work on a feature length movie in 24 fps
  2. Export subtitles to .SRT
  3. Create new blank subtitle track above the one you exported
  4. Import the .SRT you previously exported (you'll notice it's set as 30fps and not changable)
  5. Place it in the new blank subtitle track
  6. Align first subtitle with the first one from the original track
  7. Go through and you'll notice some are 1 frame early or 1 frame late, some are right on

Here's the issue, on a featute length movie this is obnoxious to manually go through and check each subtitle cut matches to be frame accurate.

In another thread an Adobe rep said they took away the ability to change the imported .SRT frame rate and they locked it to 30fps, this is where I believe the issue stems from.

PROPOSAL:

Allow users to select and copy from one subtitle track, and be able to highlight subtitles in the other subtitle track, right click and paste attributes for "Time In" and "Time Out"

This would solve the issue in seconds rather than hours manually aligning subtitle tracks that have the same index but the in and out points are off by 1 frame here and there

Idea No status
TOPICS
User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
4 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DeanMountford,

Thanks for this real-life workflow and the problem of dealing with frame-accurate caption timecodes. The related feature request is to allow caption tracks to conform to timecodes from another source (srt/different PR caption track).

Part of the problem is round-tripping srt: srt is frames converted to milliseconds; when you import back to PR, you convert the milliseconds back to frames. And you can get rounding errors.

The real issue is whether the playback system uses a rounding method that will match the frame count PR used.

> In another thread an Adobe rep said they took away the ability to change the imported .SRT frame rate and they locked it to 30fps, this is where I believe the issue stems from.

You may be referring to this post:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/adobe-premiere-srt-fps-import-problem/m-p/11...

In any event, there is NO framerate associated with an imported srt; the 30fps shown in the Project Panel properties is arbitrary, and is the same for all srts, no matter what framerate was in the sequence they were exported from. SRT files have no header that indicates its frame rate.

If you export SRT from a 24fps sequence and then import it, it will show 30fps.

SRT file do have timecodes, and they will fit only with a particular frame rate for the sequence they were time in.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand what happens I’m still requesting the feature to be able to
copy and paste. Time in and out attributes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upvoted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the upvote.

My other thought as a workaround (which shouldn't be necessary), is to have AI help me figure out how Premiere is coded for rounding the milliseconds, to figure out how it chooses which frame e.g. -1, 0, +1 and then programatically parse the .srt to account for Adobe's math so it will all import accurately into the timeline.

Unfortunately I'm editing the feature right now and don't have time to do the math and programming, but I will get to it, unless Adobe provides the requested feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate