• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fix the TRACK MATTE effect with a "Motion Settings Affect Matte" Checkbox!

Enthusiast ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Track Matte effect in Premiere Pro almost never works the way we editors need it to, and it's high time this essential effect gets fixed!

When creating a Track Matte, changing the Motion parameters of the clip the effect is applied to also changes the resulting matte. For example, if I zoom my clip to 120%, the clip zooms 120% but so does the matte. This makes it impossible to move a clip within a matte's 'window' without nesting.

The current way to get around this is to nest the clip, apply the Track Matte effect to the nest rather than the clip itself, and then edit the clip's Motion settings/keyframes within the nest. Unfortunately this is a HORRIBLE workflow, since it forces editors to edit their clip's motion settings and keyframes out of context of the master sequence. It also involves the extra steps of nesting.

After Effects handles masking the way it should work: making any changes to a clip doesn't affect the resulting matted effect. This is the way it should also work in Premiere Pro!!!!!!!!!!

A simple way to fix this problem, that would serve the needs of everyone, would be to simply add a "Motion Settings Affect Matte" checkbox to the Track Matte effect, and leave it unchecked by default. This way, the 0.0001% of users who want track mattes to work the way they currently work in Premiere could continue with the current workflow, just by clicking the checkbox, and the 99.9999% of users who want PP's matting to work the way it does in AE could finally have AE's far superior matting workflow inside Premiere!

The AE team gets it. Why can't the PP team understand how track matting should work???

Adobe, Track Matte is one of those effects that pro editors use all of the time! We would really, truly, greatly appreciate it if you could finally make time in your busy schedule to fix this essential tool before resuming attention to other features that are used by far fewer people.

Thank you!!!!!
Idea No status
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
28 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love this myself, and the option box seems an elegant solution to everyone's wants & needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be the same request as https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/35708812-fix-the-track-matt... , but that one has more votes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe this request only has three votes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, this is as clear evidence as any that the voting system does not work! If Adobe were to only focus on votes, they'd be busy porting all of Premiere Pro's bugs and broken tools over to Linux instead of fixing them for it's current users first. There's no other way to say it: Track matting in After Effects is great but in Premiere it sucks. When will Adobe finally show us users some respect by fixing long overdue problems like this one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, couldnt work out what was happening to my clip. Thanks for explaining this! Surely this would be an easy fix for adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Track Mattes worked the way they are supposed to in FCP - they were called Travel mattes and I'm talking about 2005! And they still don't work correctly in Premiere 2020! I literally did a search on "Track Mattes in Premiere Pro suck" and found this thread. You should be able to move / scale the video clip independently of the matte... Otherwise whats the point of a matte as opposed to using the cropping pen tool and creating a circle with that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you search around, you'll find that people have been confused and frustrated by Premiere's "Make Track Mattes Useless" feature for over a decade. Has anyone discovered a 3rd-party solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent hours trying to figure out how to animate my video and matte independently from each other. It seemed like that would be an automatic option. I finally found the "nesting trick" after watching quite of few track matte videos on Youtube. That STILL didn't work until I came across a post where a user mentioned you had to open the nested clip in the source monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue was posted two years ago and still no fix. It is an incredibly aggrivating problem that should be easy to fix. This is terrible. I thought the subscription licensing was supposed to allow Adobe to fix issues like this on a regular basis, guess not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well - I had no fun at all learning about this 'anomaly' - I'm doing the work around as you suggested Pierre, but it's not ideal and I'm certain that Adobe are about to fix this... since it's been two years since your post!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a real shame this hasn't been fixed yet! Keep voting and commenting to get Adobe's attention on this matter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an illustration to bring more attention to this issue:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent hours nesting clips because of this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know of a third-party plugin that provides proper track matting in Premiere Pro (i.e. the way AE does it, without resorting to AE or nesting)? Years later, Adobe still doesn't seem to care about fixing essential things like this that would make a world of difference to editors. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This. Absolutely. I'm astounded at how many essential requests users make that Adobe just ignores. Obviously this would preclude some of us having to pay for After Effects, this is probably why they won't fix it.

However, Adobe...anyone doing work intensive enough to need AE will purchase it, the others will simply find workarounds. I have the full CC suite so I can use AE but c'mon, seriously, I'm sick of throwing my footage back and forth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WORKAROUND TIPS!

Until Adobe fixes this, there are a couple of easy workarounds:

1. Add the Transform and Crop effects to your clip (in that order, otherwise it won't work). Crop your clip to the dimensions of the PIP/window you want. Now adjust your clip's Scale, Position and Rotation using the Transform effect. Bingo, it works! You can now change the motion properties of your clip without changing the size/position/rotation of the 'window' itself! To apply both effects at the same time in the future, select them both in the ECP with your preferred settings (or before changing any settings at all), right click on the name of one of them and select 'Save Preset...' (see illustration).

2. Even easier, just add the Transform effect to your clip. Now mask your clip using the Opacity effect's masking tools in the ECP. You can create a rectangle, circle or any other shape you want. Now change the motion properties of your clip using the Transform effect. It works as well!

Hope this info helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE. This infuriates me so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are real editors or designers beta-testing Adobe products?
I doing think so, otherwise this issue shouldn't have happened.
This is so basic!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@leonardo, I ask myself the same question sometimes. I do know of at least 1 real editor that beta tests Pr... myself. 😉 But I'm just 1 person, just like every other person who voted here. That's why it's so important to collectively participate with our comments and votes in an effort to be heard.

I created a Facebook group to help us get heard: https://www.facebook.com/groups/premiereprofeaturerequests.

There are workarounds as I posted in my previous comment, but ideally this issue should be fixed once and for all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This needs to happen! The order of operations are inverted to every other app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, this needs to be fixed and ASAP. I can move the matte anywhere over the footage like a James Bond intro but moving the clip underneath moves everything. Completely mental.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For goodness sake, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My best solution, nest the layer(s) you want the track matte to work on. (right mouse click, Nest)
A nested layer is of course back in the center again and therefor aligns with your mask layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, didn't see that. But yeah it's far from a great solution. However, I simply first make sure everything is in their correct place and only then I nest it. It saves time for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate