• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

H.265 .mov encode in Premiere and Media Encoder

New Here ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed that Premiere and Media Encoder only allow you to encode h.265 using an mp4 wrapper.

This is on both M1 and Intel based Macs.

DaVinci Resolve on the same systems allows h.265 encoding using an .mov wrapper.

For whatever reason, the .mov h.265 encoding in Resolve is far superior to the .mp4 h.265 encoding in Premiere.

Not only is the compression much cleaner using the same bitrate, but trying to seek, fast forward, rewind the Premiere files takes like 30 seconds; where as the DaVinci files are instantaneous.

I've tried all possible settings regarding compression and keyframes in Premiere and it doesn't make a difference. I've resorted to exporting a ProRes4444 file from Premiere, bringing it into DaVinci Studio, and then encoding my .mov h.265 file from there.

If this doesn't change, I'm just going to edit all of my work in DaVinci.

Consider this a feature request to add h.265 .mov encoding options in Premiere and Media Encoder. Either that, or fix whatever is wrong with the .mp4 .h265 encoding, because it is terrible and unworkable.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Export , Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
1 Comment
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do what you need to do.

I just transcoded a prores file to h.265 in media encoder and it works fine in my timeline. FWIW: I transcode all files to ProRes, or use ProRes proxies, and Export to ProRes (using Smart Rendering), then I use Shuttle encoder to create h.264 or 265, or whatever from the ProRes master: https://www.shutterencoder.com/en/

Votes

Translate

Translate