• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Option to Overwrite Transcript With User Script (= Professional Subtitles Automatically)

Explorer ,
May 14, 2023 May 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feature

When importing a video to Premiere, you can transcribe it, but lack the ability to replace that transcript with an already written video script.

YouTube has it but..

This is a feature on YouTube: you upload your video and then upload your own script, which youtube will then automatically generate timings for. BUT there is a lack of options when it comes to formatting, which Premiere does have. Introducing this feature to premiere will allow users to create professional subtitles for their videos in minutes!

Workflow improvement

In my experience auto transcribe makes way to many mistakes to be a usable feature in more than a few isolated cases as is. However, add the ability to import your own scrit, at it suddently becomes a huge timesaver and would be attractive to literally everybody who produce content with audio. In my opinion this should already be a feature in Premiere by now, but hey what can you do. Crossing my fingers it gets added soon, as it would be such a big time saver 🙂

Sarloos.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Import and ingest , Sound

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
8 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2023 Jul 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following, upvoted.
Now, as I understood, only ability is auto transcribe, then put your script in each paragraph of the timecode(( sadly, need many time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2023 Jul 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may now be possible in the Beta version. It may work in Release 23.5, but I had some issues. If you try this, let us know if it works.

Note that you cannot use non-dialogue information (e.g. [Music]).

In PR, create a source or static transcript. Export as .txt to get the timecodes and Speaker format.

Modify the external transcript as follows. Remove all timecodes. Any paragraphs or segments will have returns replaced by a space, so you have a single, word-wrapped paragraph. There is no added space at the end and one return.

Add two lines at the beginning from the PR export. The first is a single timecode line, with the PR transcript first segment begin timecode and the PR last segment ending timecode. The format is: begin timecode space dash space end timecode. Timecode is hh:mm:ss:ff, e.g. 00:00:36:01.
The second line is for the Speaker. PR does not modify speaker information, and I don’t think it matters what you put here. Just use Speaker 1 (no period).

So line 1 and 2 will look like this example:
     00:00:36:01 - 00:03:20:19
     Speaker 1

If the PR transcript is static, make sure you are in Sequence view. Otherwise, Source media view.

Import transcript as corrected.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We absolutely need this feature. A lot of times transcripts need to be approved and cleaned up by one team and then passed on to our team. We need to be able to import them in without timecodes and have Premiere make the timings. Then, we also need the ability to export the captions as VTT files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2023 Jul 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Olivia31152990ycv5,

See this VTT feature request:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-ideas/export-captions-as-vtt-webvtt-files/idi-p/13515926

Be sure to upvote the box in the top left.

The 1/24/23 date is misleading - that is the date this was ported from the user voice system. Only the last few posts are since this was moved to the new Ideas forum.

See the post by @TeresaDemel with a survey. I do not know if it is still active.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-ideas/export-captions-as-vtt-webvtt-files/idc-p/13523195...

My post response here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-ideas/export-captions-as-vtt-webvtt-files/idc-p/13542214...

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Olivia31152990ycv5,

Did you try the workaround I posted here? I'm curious as to whether it might work with an actual script.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for pointing out those links! I have not yet tried your workaround. Our teams are shifting around who does the transcript correcting, so I may not need to do it anymore as I should be the one correcting it within Premiere myself now. We may still need to use it, though, if more edits are needed after we send it out for approval. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm shocked at the lack of evidence for interest in this critical feature. After all, Google saw fit to make it a central part of YouTube's first-in-class transcription platform, and MANY people use it.  A great example (something I work with frequently) is: when you have existing works of poetry or drama that readers/actors are reciting word-for-word, sans improv.  This should be relevant to most scripted dramas too.  When the text can easily be imported in perfect grammar and punctuation and spelling, hours are saved in post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@FocusPulling.com,

It is surprising. There are 2 big picture issues for me.

1) Does the workaround I describe in this thread work? "Import corrected" is now available in the release version, and a couple of bugs have been fixed. It works in my tests, but I am not using real-world scripts. I have also discovered that the "2 lines" (timecode and speaker) are not needed - just one massive paragraph in a .txt file.

2) Some of the feature requests did not get ported over when UserVoice was ended and Ideas became a part of these forums. But that means they did not have that many votes. Of the 6 other requests I found today, all were Discussions (not Ideas) and none had more than 2 votes. Yes, surprising given the obvious value of such an option.

This current Idea has 7 votes as of today, so it is the best one to list for others to upvote.

Link to my post in this thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-ideas/option-to-overwrite-transcript-with-user-script-pr....

If you give this a try, let us know if it works. If you want to share a script, send me a Private Message and I'll give it a go.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate